PDA

View Full Version : apex and led ?

richierich2000
09/07/2012, 08:35 PM
I have a apex and I am running Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver 1-10V and Cree Leds when they shut off they all flash is there a way to stop them from doing that?

Mpfaff77
09/07/2012, 09:20 PM
I wish. Mine do it too. If i don't shut down power to driver outlet it hasn't done it. But if I leave power to outlet it has a slight glow from the white light channel And I would imagine will lessen Life of drivers if power to them 24/7.

Mine flash whites then blues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

balto777
09/07/2012, 11:34 PM
The flash is caused by the driver. There are capacitors in the driver that hold a charge - even with them dimmed completely. When you shut off the power to the drivers, then the capacitor discharges making the lights flash. You have to keep power to the driver in order to prevent this from happening.

As for the dim glow when dimmed off . . . I haven't found a full explanation for it. My light fixture is fully insulated from ground and does not show any type of glow when fully dimmed. However, if I touch the fixture and ground it through me, then the lights turn on really dim. I have asked about this before in the forums, but can't figure out a complete answer. Everyone always says there is a short somewhere, but I have tested ad nauseum with a multimeter. Also, the leds are working correctly and I don't get shocked when touching the fixture when at full power. Who knows what is happening.

I wouldn't be worried about the slight light coming when fully dimmed. I do not believe that would hurt the life of the LED's or driver because it is so slight. So, my recommendation is to leave the lights powered on and just dim them to shut them off - as long as the light is so slight you can't really see it unless you look at the LED's.

Mpfaff77
09/08/2012, 01:03 PM
It is a very slight glow. If had to guess. Maybe 2% power. Don't notice it in tank at all. If wont bother drivers or light then I'll just leave on. Not sure why whites do it but not blues.

Mpfaff77
09/08/2012, 01:16 PM
Pic didn't post

richierich2000
09/08/2012, 03:25 PM
I am going to wire a relay before the fist led and the driver so when the power cuts off the power can't get to the leds. if it flashes when they come back on I will use a resistor to drain it with the other side of the double pole relay when it is off.