PDA

View Full Version : 90 gallon Fallon on 3rd floor apartment...?

Jmatt83188
09/08/2012, 05:47 AM
Hello everyone,

I just joined a couple days ago and I am looking forward to hearing from you guys on some issues forbad new commer.

I am new to the salt water world and ibstarted with a 55 gallon... I rushed everything and really didnt do any research and lost all my fish due to ick :debi:I ended up draining the tank and started over. I wanted to move up to a 90 gallon because i love the hobby so much even though I had little luck the first 2 months. I have done a lot more research and invested in some better and more effective equipment. I feel that inhave a much better chance this time around as long as I stay patient!!

My first concern is this:

My 90 gallon tank is sitting in my parents basement and I am moving into a third floor apartment in another month. My question is will the 3rd floor have enough support for the weight That I am going to put on it. I have read about putting across floor joints and against a load baring wall, but I want to hear for myself some advise and experiences.

I do have 100k of prop damage with my renters. The manager said as long as I had renters I would be fine but this is just to clear my mind.

Thanks for any imput and I am looking forward to talking with you all in the future!!

Crkbaby
09/08/2012, 07:23 AM
That would be some garbage construction on there part if it did. Ideally its good to know at least which way the floor joists are going so you can spread the weight over more than 1. 2-3 would be ideal.

ReachTheSky
09/08/2012, 08:24 AM
Hello and welcome to Reef Central.

I have my tank sitting on the third floor. Even with four 200+ pound guys huddled around, veering into the tank, there isn't a single creak. These buildings are strong! I'm sure yours will hold fine but as Crkbaby said, you should find the floor joists and spread the weight accordingly. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

on the spot
09/08/2012, 08:43 AM
...I have read about putting across floor joints and against a load baring wall, but I want to hear for myself some advise and experiences...

Just as important is the quality of the stand - A perimeter point of contact with the floor vs. four corners, and plumb.

Best of luck with the move.

Biocubehqi
09/08/2012, 12:35 PM
My tank is on the tenth floor with no problems... I would just get really good insurance.

Biocubehqi
09/08/2012, 12:38 PM
I'm insured for up to a quarter million in damage. Not very exspensive, and let's you sleep better at night. I'm sure it cant be much worse than a water bed.

ReachTheSky
09/08/2012, 12:57 PM
I'm insured for up to a quarter million in damage. Not very exspensive, and let's you sleep better at night. I'm sure it cant be much worse than a water bed.
Insurance companies might file that under "negligence" and not cover it.

I would imagine saltwater would be more damaging than tap water. It leaves a ton more residue as it evaporates - specifically salt. Crystals form inside the pores of the wood (should it absorb it), nails and beams begin to corrode much more rapidly and so on.