PDA

View Full Version : red maxi anemone

SNAKEMANVET
09/08/2012, 08:32 AM
I just got it yesterday,it has attached and the mouth is open alittle.I was wondering if it is more fragile than regular minis.I would post a pic but it is in a container and I have a crappy camera.Would like input from others who own one. Thanks

ssgtgonzo
09/08/2012, 08:42 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2203020

SNAKEMANVET
09/08/2012, 08:54 AM
Thank ssgtonzo,I just read that thread,same anemone.I know now that it ain't a maxi.

ssgtgonzo
09/08/2012, 04:10 PM
I think that the take away is that they need very different care. They are NOT as tough as maxi minis. They are very beautiful though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

SNAKEMANVET
09/08/2012, 06:52 PM
I will try feeding it in a couple of days.Just giving it more time to settle in.I have had the regular color ones,greens and browns and they split several times.

Rippinfrags
09/08/2012, 07:29 PM
I think that the take away is that they need very different care. They are NOT as tough as maxi minis. They are very beautiful though!

I disagree, I think they are pretty much the same as far as there needs go. What differences are you referring to?

ssgtgonzo
09/08/2012, 09:10 PM
If they are the ones on the link i sent, that is NOT a maxi mini.

The mini carpets don't get bigger than a silver dollar, dwell in the sand, and generally have the same care requirements as a haddoni. I know that these mini carpets split on their own, have never tried to split mine manually. (i've never tried to split a maxi mini either)

Maxi minis are tougher than a $2 steak and can be manually split.

I have had both types in the same tank. My first mini carpet i, like you and so many, tried to care for like a maxi mini (placing in the rocks, somewhat dirtier water) and it lost its color, never attached, and died...while the maxi minis thrived.

ssgtgonzo
09/08/2012, 09:15 PM
Oh, and i've never witnessed this, but i have HEARD that the mini carpets, when there are a bunch together, will be associated with as a host for cetain clowns. But that is just from what i had read.

So a lot of the things that make a maxi mini carpet so unique, these mini carpets lack.

This is what mine used to look like. If this isn't what is in question, then disregard. I just want to make sure the op realizes that he MAY have something that requires more care than a maxi mini.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l515/dagabe1/2012-07-19180051.jpg

SNAKEMANVET
09/08/2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks ssgtgonzo,Thats just like the one I got.It is in a container with rubble and sand.It has attached to a piece of rubble.

luisse25
09/08/2012, 10:57 PM
i had these red mini a year ago,they are different from the mini maxi...if thinking of propagating them,from my experience,they dont like to be cut...compare to mini maxis that u can just cut them and they are fine..it is possible but they are a bit sensitive...when i first got one i thought it was a baby red haddoni,but after being in my tank for months it multiplied so that where i found out its not a baby haddoni(which disappoint me)..anyways,,,one ate one of my picasso(but my picasso that time was sick)..but then it ate one of my baby platinum so thats when i know that small fish or slow moving fish are dangerous to this specific mini carpet....cause my other mini maxis they dont harm any of my clownfishes...since then i put this mini red away from my main tank....

they are very pretty though...
(i currently dont own any right now and decide to not own anymore cause i have small platinums and snowcassos)

Psionicdragon
09/09/2012, 01:07 AM
they are very different from regular maxi mini. they need pristine conditions or they will start shriveling.

Rippinfrags
09/09/2012, 03:45 PM
My red "mini carpet" has atached to a piece of live rock and has not moved an inch. I have only had it for a week or so, but so far it has acted pretty similar to my "maxi mini's". The foot appeared to be the same, atached quickly and it has a great appetite. I will post a picture later.

SNAKEMANVET
09/09/2012, 03:54 PM
Mine attached to rubble overnite,today I placed it on the liverock,and it has taken a couple of mysis today.

Eklikewhoa
01/20/2013, 12:25 AM
Bump from the dead but anyone have pictures of their mini red still?

bradleym
01/20/2013, 07:41 AM
I got one back in October. It has recently split into 3 and they are all doing well. I will try to post pics when the lights come on.

SNAKEMANVET
01/21/2013, 08:52 AM
Mine has also split twice.I need to post a pic as well.