PDA

View Full Version : Final decision on size of tank

rldcpa
09/08/2012, 03:31 PM
I am new again to the hobby, as I have not had salt fish for 25 years, which was a time when corals were not in tanks and the underground filters were popular.

Anyway, I have to decide between 2 tanks...

72x24x22 165 gallons with a 84 gallon sump or

72x30x22 205 gallons with a 112 gallon sump

Bigger is better? Maybe...cost is certainly higher, around $425 more, which is not so bad in itself, but now I need more sand, rock, salt and possibly larger skimmer and other equipment.

The only difference in the tank is 40 gallons, but you get a 30" depth which is what I am having 2nd thoughts on. Will I be sorry I did not go bigger?

Some say that your first tank should be under 180 gallons. As I said this is not my first tank, but it is my first tank where I will have corals and all sorts of new equipment and lights.

So will going to 205 gallons give me more problems?

Is it worth it to get only 40 more gallons just to get 6" more in depth.

Or am I delusional and should I scrap both of these and get a smaller tank like a 48x24x22 110 gallon with a 50 gallon sump or even smaller?

When you respond, please let me know what size tank you have and type of tank. Thanks.

OKDOHK
09/08/2012, 04:21 PM
In my opinion the cost is a major factor. The bigger tanks will cost alot more than the smaller 110 gallon in start up. You also have to factor in all the equipment and supplies that will be needed. Long term costs like, Electricity bills, saltmix, food, filter media. If the choice was only the larger tanks, i would go for the 205 gallon. When you get to that size the equipment wouldn't be very different between the 165 and 205 in my opinion. Larger tanks will be more forgiving when mistakes are made. The type of tank you want will also play a factor in costs (sps, lps, softies, fish only). If i had the money and time i would go with the biggest.

I currently have a 80 gallon display, 50 gallon sump. I have a sps dominated tank. This system cost me about $8000.00 to get the equipment, corals, and fish i want. It can cost less or more depending on what you want. Buying used or new.

Not sure if this helped.

My recommendation would be to get the 110 gallon since you are getting back into the hobby.

KSzegi
09/08/2012, 04:29 PM
Personally I would go with the deeper dimension! My first reef tank was a 180 - 72x24x24 and I never regretted going with that large of a tank. I upgraded that about a year ago to a 300 deep dimension, 72x36x27, and absolutely love the added depth. It gave a lot more options for aquascaping and having more open sand bed etc. In my case I really wanted to keep a more open aquascape and keep a decent open area all the way around for added flow ..... the added depth to the tank really allowed that. I also have an external coast to coast overflow that really opens things up too - but I would think that the extra depth would help even more if you are looking at internal overflow boxes which take up considerable room in the tank!

Tough to say whether or not you should go that big .... thats gonna have to be your call. Will definitely be cheaper but not necessarily any less work. I also have a 90 gallon and all the equipment was definitely cheaper ....... but as far as upkeep maintenance I really don't find it much different. The costs of maintenance for lets say salt and 2-part solution is definitely less - but I think the bigger tank is more stable and far less limited on what fish and other livestock I can add ....

Only you can decide what your budget is going to be and what you really want out of the setup!

Good luck with your decision!:spin1: