PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had a sponge take over everything?

ReeferKimberly
09/08/2012, 10:31 PM
Got a large rock today, lots of nice mushrooms for only $25.

Only $25 because half the rock is covered in a brownish-black flat sponge. It's semi hard to the touch and kind of smoothe/soft/shiny like sea weed...not like the typical sponges I see. It's like a flat encrusting kind.

The rock was too good to pass up for so cheap. About this sponge though, the owner did not know what would happen with it, hence the price.

Is there even a good way to get rid of a sponge like this? Fused solid to the rock, a flat "sheet" of sponge. Or, have you had something like this become a big problem?

If not, does ice work to remove mushrooms like it does on anenomes?

Snakebyt
09/09/2012, 05:40 AM
ice will not remove the mushrooms. If you are wanting to just kill off the sponge i would pull the rock and spray it with peroxide and let it sit for about 3 minutes, rinse with some tank water, the put back in the tank. the shrooms will survive it, but i dont know about the sponge

Gary Majchrzak
09/09/2012, 06:36 AM
even the experts have had sponges take over a system. Certain sponges are EXTREMELY toxic and invasive.

ReeferKimberly
09/09/2012, 07:37 AM
even the experts have had sponges take over a system. Certain sponges are EXTREMELY toxic and invasive.

So......would the h202 be a bad idea?

I 'probably' won't do anything with it unless I do indeed see it taking over. Right now it's just the one rock, well half of it. I would like the option of hydrogen peroxide though, if it wouldn't make it release it's toxins or something......I really don't know much about this subject so I am just guessing, but trying to nuke something that could be toxic worries me.

LaOtIn
09/09/2012, 10:03 AM
Keep in mind that any sponge is very sensitive to air. The shrooms will survive being out of water for 5-8mins no problem. as soon as the sponge hits air it starts to die. just taking the rock out of water will make the sponge recede, leaving it out in the air may actually kill it.