PDA

View Full Version : I've about had it with my tank

SwimsWithFish2
09/09/2012, 06:30 PM
I have a 29g biocube mixed reef thats been up for about 7 months.
Equipment:
Aquaticlife 115 skimmer
Jbj ATO
Fuge
Koralia nano
4 bulb t5ho

Livestock:
2 clowns
1 bangaii cardinal
1 cherub angel
Zoas
Various Sps and lps

Params:
Nitrates- 0
Cal- 450
pH- 8
Alk- 9

This is my first reef tank and overall hasn't gone so well. Problems started back in april when Dino started appearing in my tank. I frantically researched to find ways to get rid of it. I started using H202 and that pretty much killed it off, but then it returned a few weeks later. around this time I added an acro to the tank. It did well but within two months began to bleach because of the constant Dino hanging off its limbs. The Dino would not go away. My params were perfect, I did water changes, dosed H202 but it wouldn't leave. I began doing 3 day blackouts about twice a month. That helped but it was still there. Eventually I had to just give away the remaining Sps to the Lfs. My Lps and softies were thriving. So now, seven months into the tank, I have a birdsnest and stag in the tank which are now beginning to bleach. The Dino is coming back and I don't know what to do. My params are fine and I use rodi... I don't understand!!!!!! Should I start over? Just sell everything and get new sand and rocks. The ONLY thing I can think of that's feeding this(and the GHA) is my rodi machine. I'm using an RV rodi. Maybe it's not removing all the phosphates. I don't know. Please help. I need advice.

Mitchell_2004
09/09/2012, 06:49 PM
I may have missed it, but what is your lighting? nm.. Just saw it..

Whats your water flow like?

Elem7777
09/09/2012, 06:57 PM
I'm using an RV rodi. Maybe it's not removing all the phosphates. I don't know. Please help. I need advice.

Easy enough then, have you tested the TDS of the treated water? Is it 0?

SwimsWithFish2
09/09/2012, 08:17 PM
I may have missed it, but what is your lighting? nm.. Just saw it..

Whats your water flow like?

I've got two 250s running. One is the return, the other is a koralia.

swcc
09/10/2012, 09:24 AM
small tanks can be difficult. I believe you really need more flow in the tank first off. I noticed you do not have phosphate listed. have you tested it.
Now nuisance algae is contributed to one thing...excess nutrients... most off due to large bacteria activity and their processes. This ultimately happens due to too little export of organics and excess nutrients(siphon of detritus, skimmer not keeping up, cleaning of any filter pad/floss/socks often enough). This also can be due too too little adsorption as well(carbon /purigen). Your goal should be looking into getting more flow into the tank(especially with SPS) and better export and adsorption(carbon replaced weekly/ bag of purigen on top of carbon). don't forget to siphon and clean out your overflow chambers, lots of detritus can settle there.

Sugar Magnolia
09/10/2012, 09:27 AM
Easy enough then, have you tested the TDS of the treated water? Is it 0?

This. How old is the RODI unit and when were the filters changed last?

coralsnaked
09/10/2012, 12:48 PM
Everyone is right about how to prevent the Dino population, and i would suggest using LFS premix until you can get your system tested. But with that saud you need a way to elininate the dino populatuion you currently have. Here's an approach that works that i got from a friend a few years back. It is a little uncomman but works well. Raise your Nitrates to 5. Yes that's right raise them and monitor them closely as to not get them dangerously high. This can be accomplished in a variety of ways but the tank itself should produce enough to raise to 5 if you stop exportation IE carbon, Purigen, skimming ect... Dont make big changes all at once - just one at a time and monitor daily X2. Increase the number of changes as need, and by the time you get to 5 you should see a reduction in growth and then a die off. But if you have not corrected the root cause they will come back when you get Nitrates back down!

SwimsWithFish2
09/10/2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Alright, Since I can't affored a new RODI right now, I'll stop doing water changes and just top off using Lfs RODI. That way I won't be adding anymore phosphates to the tank. I blow detritus every day with a baster. And I haven't tested for phosphates because I know that the Dino is using it up so it would be pretty much pointless. I have a koralia 550 that I could try... It would be a lot though. Hopefully this plan will work.

andyrm66
09/10/2012, 06:30 PM
My past luck with dinos was let them run their course. Do you have any mechanical filtration?

SwimsWithFish2
09/10/2012, 06:42 PM
Just a bag of carbon. I ran out of floss.

SwimsWithFish2
09/10/2012, 08:49 PM
Alright added a sponge and the 750 koralia