PDA

View Full Version : New Growth on the base?

drw94
09/10/2012, 07:04 PM
So the coral that is pictured is white around the base. I can't tell if it is new growth or not. If it is I have never heard off the base turning white. On the tips of coral the new growth is white with blue/purple polyps. The base is doing the same thing. There are really tiny blue/purple polyps. The coral in itself seems to be in good health. I have dipped several times with revive and no AEFW come off. No red bugs either. The polyps on the tips and on the branches are always out. I already talked about the base polyps. It has doubled in size in the last few months I have had it. Please give me your input on the white areas around the base. Also can someone please ID this as I have no clue to what it is. Thanks for looking

drw94
09/10/2012, 07:15 PM
Here is a better pic of the affected area. The coral is a little ****ed as I did a dip about an hour ago.

Reef Bass
09/10/2012, 07:22 PM
To me, the white area looks dead. I see what appear to be some little empty craters where polyps once lived.

drw94
09/10/2012, 07:27 PM
I can tell you it is not dead. I'll try and get another pic when the polyps aren't so unhappy

tripdad
09/10/2012, 09:09 PM
I get a "white" edge on the base of my staghorns where they are encrusting on the rock. It usually turns to the "body" color of the coral after a few days, then it moves outward as it grows again. Don't know why but it seems to grow in "spurts" then takes a few days off. Just my opinion but if you are seeing polyp's in the area it's alive, might be bleached but that should be apparent.

drw94
09/10/2012, 09:32 PM
I think the last revive dip did it in. I did notice in the last few hours it has lost the color from the main branches a little. Maybe I am a little paranoid, but I just tossed it. I had a major problem a year or so ago where I lost everything. I think that problem was enhanced when some corals started to die they leached some type of toxin into the water and accelerated to the death of other corals, just my theory. I would rather toss a questionable frag than lose my other healthy colonies. I don't have a qt tank. It was only a 25 dollar frag, so not much of a loss. So either I tossed a totally healthy coral or it had some type of disease or parasite. I always side on the side of caution.