PDA

View Full Version : ? about neon dottyback

mlott132
09/10/2012, 07:39 PM
Wanted to get some feedback on the neon dottyback. My lfs said his is a neon dottyback from the Red Sea and that it is different than other neons. I see that the normal neons are semi-aggressive and could go after ornamental shrimp and bristle worms. I have a couple cleaner shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, and many bristle worms. I would rather not lose any of these. Has anyone heard of this type of neon, are they more peaceful then regular neons?

Apercula
09/10/2012, 08:03 PM
Neon dottybacks in general are less aggressive than some of the other dottybacks, though that is not saying much since most dottybacks are quite aggressive.
Pseudochromis aldabraensis, has been captive raised for years, and given the difficulty of importing, and the cost, of Red Sea fish I would seriously doubt your LFS has a wild caught neon.
Mine gave some of my other long skinny fish, blenny, gramma, 6line wrasse some hassle early on but everyone has settled into thier own areas and I have minimal aggression any more. I do not have experience with them with shrimp, but I would expect them to hunt bristleworms.

bdevillier
09/10/2012, 08:11 PM
i have a neon dottyback but he is the only fish in his tank. i love his personality, and he's always very busy cleaning his dugout. i do catch him picking on the hermits every so often