PDA

View Full Version : Need info about RO resin filter

ReeferKimberly
09/12/2012, 04:27 PM
I just dug this RO unit out of the garage. Used it 9 years ago for about 3 months. I bought all the new cartridges I could find, 5 out of 6. Pre-carbon, pre-carbon, membrane, sediment, and something else (I don't know what it's called).

Now, I could not find a "resin filter" so in it's place I got some refridgerator water filter cartridge thing.

Question is, do I NEED a resin filter? Or will these 5 other filters the water passes through make up for it?

It's a great unit. I actually couldn't find a better one. It was twice as big as the biggest one at the aquarium place I went.

The red arrow is where the resin filter is suppossed to go, but it's a fridge filter instead. I am going to test the TDS after I let the water go through it for a while.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma9d017QYh1rddoc7o1_500.jpg

jrp1588
09/12/2012, 05:07 PM
The fridge filter is probably just some activated carbon and a sediment filter. Get some DI resin.

You'll need the resin and the cartridge linked here (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-reverse-osmosis-filters-systems/reverse-osmosis-filters/di-resin.html).

And the canister linked here. (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-reverse-osmosis-filters-systems/canisters-brackets-clips/reverse-osmosis-canisters.html) Get the 10" with 1/4" ports.

From there you'll just need a couple of these fittings (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-reverse-osmosis-filters-systems/reverse-osmosis-fittings-valves/ro-male-npt-x-push-connect-mur-lok.html). Get the 1/4"x1/4". Those fittings can also be found at lowes or home depot.

ReeferKimberly
09/12/2012, 06:35 PM
What is the resin for?

The DI part, right?

I need this water tonight.....I am still running the water through the unit. 10 gallons so far (throwing it away). I need to do a water change tonight.....I am going to take the water in to be tested in an hour....hopefully that will be enough time to gauge how it does (without the resin) after getting the initial water through to "clean" it.

What does the resin remove? It's the last thing the water passed through.

I just got some chemi-pure as well....so hopefully doing a WC with this water will be ok, for now....

I will post the TDS results when I get home.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Misled
09/12/2012, 06:58 PM
DI is a resin. You can buy an extra cartrige and replace the one you just added. You put the DI resin in it. The RO system should get the TDS somewhere around single digits, the DI gets TDS to 0.

ReeferKimberly
09/12/2012, 08:15 PM
I can't open the one I have originally. It's like it was made not to open :/ The brand is "Kemflo". I will be calling them tomorrow.

I just bought some resin, thinking I could add it....but the thing doesn't open. So, meh. I can either buy a new cartridge and buy some fittings and stuff and put the resin in that...or order another one from "Kemflo" if they still have what I am looking for.

Meanwhile, since I need water right now.....my TDS out of the unit is 4. Out of the tap is 26. Yes 26. I checked 3 times. 26!!!!!

I'm thinking the TDS out of the unit may even go down after it's been running longer because it was only running 2 hours or so before testing and there may still be some dust.

But for right now......it's "ok" to use the jut RO non-DI, right? With a TDS of 4 (or less)?

It's a soft coral tank, just a couple SPS in there as well. But nothing all that expensive.

jrp1588
09/12/2012, 08:19 PM
Sure, 4ppm will be fine to use for a bit. I'd get the stuff for the DI resin though. I'd buy the whole new canister so you can just get refills, should save money vs buying a whole new un-refillable canister every time.

Mike31154
09/12/2012, 08:47 PM
Get a vertically mounted cartridge if you decide to buy another for DI. Horizontally mounted DI cartridges are not as efficient since the water apparently 'channels' along the bottom so not all the DI resin is exposed to the water, meaning you end up replacing it more often.