PDA

View Full Version : Been cooking my LR for 2 years

Gimme
09/12/2012, 05:23 PM
Hello

I was hoping to get some advice from fellow members.

I have some basic equipment (lots of lights, RO/DI) and would like recommendations on what I should buy.

I have 2 Brute containers full of LR that has been cooking for 2 years. I also have a 90g RR tank that I plan on using as a secondary tank (see pic).

The plan is to use at least a 180g sump, divided into 3 parts: (1) skimmer; (2) return pump; and (3) DSB + mangrove trees.

The goal is to keep SPS and some fish. Secondary tank FULL of LR, Main Tank with minimalistic design.

I reckon I will need a chiller, as I live in the tropics, and also a calcium reactor to feed the corals?

Main tank will probably be a 36x36x24. Either BB or with s SSB. Secondary tank will definitely be BB.

I would like some recommendations on a chiller, return pump, and a good skimmer. I'd also like your advice on other equipment I should consider buying. I guess power heads? I have lots of Hydor Koralia 4's.

I'm in no hurry to have corals or fish. I just want to set up my tank.

Thanks!

Islander84
09/12/2012, 06:26 PM
Why are you trying to put such a big sump under that size tank? When i say big i mean the 180 sump plus 90 gal secondary..... i would say if you are using a 180 gal sump then you can distribute the extra liverock throughout the sump and you will be fine..... also i would recommend a bubble trap between skimmer and return pump chambers.... over under over..... see melevsreef.com for examples. But DSB with mangroves in refugium is an EXCELLENT way to remove phosphates! It needs to be deep though at least 8 inches thick.... and i would T off the drain from tank.... have half flow to skimmer other half flow to refugium at a slower rate so the refugium can actually function.....

Islander84
09/12/2012, 06:28 PM
Also the rocks youve been (cooking). How have you been cooking these? With flow, light, temp stability, water changes......or just threw some rocks in water and called it good?

Gimme
09/12/2012, 07:20 PM
Thx for your reply.

I always thought the bigger the sump, the better? And the 90g tank will probably also have some corals and fish, just a lot of LR as opposed to the main tank, which will follow a minimalistic approach.

Re cooking: at first I did water changes and had a power head in them, but they've been sitting there 6 months without any circulation. Temp is always warm, since I live in the tropics.

Rocks are clean as a whistle.

Bubble trap: great, thanks!

T off drain: yes!

Can I have some advice on skimmer and return pump please? What about a good chiller?

Trying to upload pics of rocks.

Gimme
09/12/2012, 07:21 PM
Rocks totally dark btw.

pmark
09/12/2012, 07:42 PM
Without circulation how can the good bacteria on the rocks be alive?

Gimme
09/13/2012, 07:07 AM
It was circulating for 1.5 years, more than enough time IMO. The rock may be dead now, but it was cooked for 1.5 years.

Can I please get advice on equipment?

SoLiD
09/13/2012, 07:18 AM
LIGHT: LEDS: AI VEGA\RADION
SKIMMER: VERTEX ALPHA 250 or SRO 5000
PUMP: WATER BLASTER 7000 OR 10000

That's all I can think of right now.