PDA

View Full Version : Adding on to a system

kriv4o
09/12/2012, 10:31 PM
As of now I have a 40b with a 20l sump with 4 bulb T5 HO lightning. I am not sure how well these lights would work for a clam. So what I'd like to do(actually in the process of doing) is add a standart 10 gal tank and plumb it to the existing set up. Already have a led fixture in the works that should be powerfull enough to support a clam.
Now for the question: when it is all said and done and I am ready to bring the add on clam tank online should I be worried about a mini cycle or something like that. I will be using 'dead' sand that I will rince troughly. No rock will be used at the start of the add on tank.
The way I see it I am only adding to the total system volume. No die off of any sort, so I should be good to go correct?

Mavrk
09/12/2012, 10:41 PM
Should be good but I would run it for a little bit first because you are adding additional plumbing which might have some silicates or something that need to be worked through. I just got through adding my 40b to share my sump with my 90. It is a cool feeling having the two setups running like that.

kriv4o
09/12/2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the response. I will definitely keep it running for a few weeks before adding any clams:)