PDA

View Full Version : I shot this video of my tank

TwistedMind
09/13/2012, 08:43 PM
what do you think?

LOL, seriously uber shaky so sorry. Tanks 1 month old.

I had more algea, then I turned on my led's and kiled most of it :c/ Most of the snails are now white to, LOL.

Anyways comments welcome, before anyone says anything the stand is untreated lumber, and its not going to look ghetto much longer, working on doors now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t3bwFpeEok&feature=youtu.be

Dexters Reef
09/13/2012, 08:57 PM
I think you have a lot of live rock that will look great when you start adding in corals! What are your plans for this tank? I like the leds also! Good choice on the protein skimmer also

Check out my 75 :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhjvhrQUtjc&sns=em

TwistedMind
09/13/2012, 09:14 PM
Plan on a mixed reef, would like to find a pink birds nest, A brain, chalice of some sort, maybe a green slimer, Haven't researched plating coral very much yet but I saw a gorgeous photo of a yellow plate that I fell in love with.

BTA, probably wont do to many more fish, probably a yellow tang, really want a flame angel but hesitent because I want corals. Would love a hippo tang, but tanks not big enough.

Trying to talk wife into letting me go bigger already and im only just getting into the hobby.

She said if im still doing this april of next year I can get a 300

jrp1588
09/13/2012, 09:40 PM
Is that gravel on the bottom? I'm switch that out to sand if I was you. I also learned the hard way not to stack rock against the glass like you have. It looks nice, but it makes it impossible to clean the glass in that area. It also creates a lot of dead zones behind the rock. Good looking rock though.

hollister
09/13/2012, 10:05 PM
Thats not nice. :)

secrest
09/13/2012, 10:20 PM
Not sure if I should laugh at the title or feel bad. But nice tank so far.

TwistedMind
09/14/2012, 08:06 AM
Is that gravel on the bottom? I'm switch that out to sand if I was you. I also learned the hard way not to stack rock against the glass like you have. It looks nice, but it makes it impossible to clean the glass in that area. It also creates a lot of dead zones behind the rock. Good looking rock though.

Its caribsea hawaiian black sand. I don't like it, I think it looks like gravel to, But i really dont want to try and pull 80 pounds of it out of the tank. Not sure what I should do.

reeferstace
09/14/2012, 09:06 AM
what do you think?

I think people that make fun of those with debilitating diseases are :thumbdown

jcolletteiii
09/14/2012, 09:21 AM
insensitive.

BrianD
09/14/2012, 09:37 AM
Edited title.

TealCobra
09/14/2012, 09:38 AM
Good work so far.

Constructive criticism:

1. I would not allow your rock to be stacked against the glass on the left side of the tank. This will create pockets/dead spots making flow through these areas difficult.

2. I would consider removing a couple pieces of rock from the sand bed (near the front of the tank) to give the tank a more open look. A great deal of your substrate is covered in rock which will not give you a lot of room for any corals in those areas.

3. I realize you need your skimmer elevated for proper operation....the eggcrate stand is likely going to create a trap for detritus and funk that settles and doesn't make it into the skimmer. You might consider a small power head that runs underneath the skimmer to keep stuff in suspension.

jrp1588
09/14/2012, 12:22 PM
Hah, figured the PC police would be all over that title.