PDA

View Full Version : Using HPS bulb in a LuxCore MH electronic ballast? [Help]

Danzig
09/13/2012, 09:19 PM
Im trying to find some information that i cant find anywhere but i figured you guys here at RC might know more than anyone. HPS means high pressure sodium and its basically the same thing as MH except theres usually a different ballast for them and they are typically a lower more red spectrum around 2-3k Kelvin. They are used for indoor plant growing. Im trying to grow my own vegetables indoor. So my problem is, i dont want to go out and buy a whole new HPS setup if a HPS bulb will just work in my MH ballast. Coralvue makes these luxcore ballasts and i called the support and some guy just said it will work but couldnt provide me with any info on it or documentation. He was pretty vague. Im sure some of you grow your own vegetable and have been in the same dilemma at one point.

If it helps, heres the description from luxcore/coralvue about my ballast. I have the 250 watt dimmable ballast. http://coralvue.com/luxcore-selectable-wattage-metal-halide-ballasts/

Danzig
09/13/2012, 11:04 PM
Anyone?

dano1
09/14/2012, 11:55 AM
might work but why hps? Never heard of using hps for plant life-spectrum sucks(i change them every day).

edit-just read a little about them-wavelength stimulates reproductive growth it appears. Interesting...give it a shot , not much to lose.Bulbs should be pretty cheap.

Danzig
09/14/2012, 03:48 PM
Not sure what your trying to say dano but hps for plantlife is the best option out there..

ReachTheSky
09/14/2012, 03:53 PM
Yes, most hobby ballasts will fire HPS bulbs as well as MH bulbs. Check the manufacturers instructions.

Danzig
09/14/2012, 05:46 PM
Yes, most hobby ballasts will fire HPS bulbs as well as MH bulbs. Check the manufacturers instructions.

i did, there instructions were a joke with tons of typos and improper use of the english language. Must have been translated from chinese or something. I cant find any manuals or legit information on these thats why im skeptical to take some random guy's word at tech support who could care less about his job.

Mpfaff77
09/14/2012, 07:17 PM
You need to buy a conversion build. HPS is the best spectrum for flowering. Growth is metal halide. Both in conjunction would be ideal or switch bulbs when switching to flower.

Like I said in my PM to you I'll send you pics of that light I have and make me offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD