PDA

View Full Version : Mag 9.5 malfunction question

visuvius
09/14/2012, 08:50 PM
I'm posting to see if someone can possibly tell me what's up with my Mag 9.5 and if it's repairable. I hadn't used it in about 2 years and recently decided to clean it up to use in my new Cadlights 50.

I dumped it in a bucket of water and turned it on. It started running and I thought everything was fine. I checked on it 20 minutes later and it had shut off. The pump wasnt vibrating lightly or anything, it was just off, and it seemed warmer than it should have been. I pulled it out of the water and let it cool off. When I turned it back on in the bucket, it fired up but it sounded wobbly and the flow was really weak. The thing was definitely running weird. At this point when I plug it on, it mostly runs wrong but every other time it will run okay again.

I've taken it apart and the impeller looks fine as far as I can tell. There are not a lot of parts on this thing so it's hard to tell what's wrong. What should I be looking for? Anyone know if this is repairable?

Thanks ahead.

jakano
09/14/2012, 08:57 PM
Could try a different impeller in it? I think with no use the magnets can lose their magnetic properties. I have a mag 9 I'm about to use my self that's sat around for years too so I hope I don't have the same problem.

barrettrhoades
09/15/2012, 04:43 PM
Clean both the impeller and the area where the impeller fits into really well. I like to use a q-tip to get in there. You can also remove the impeller from the shaft and clean the shaft, as well as run some water through the impeller. Try not to break the shaft, as it is ceramic. Also take note of the "washers" that are on the top and bottom of the impeller that go onto the shaft. With magnetic pumps it either works or it doesn't. Since the only moving part is the impeller, if it works sometimes then it would likely be getting caught up. If there is any calcium build-up, do a vineger soak and rinse.