PDA

View Full Version : Reef Octupus or Bubble magus?

newreefer92
09/14/2012, 09:25 PM
I am setting up a new tank!!

I have heard some really good things about the bubble magus skimmer, but some people say the reef oct is better.

Any advice would be great, the protein skimmer is going in a sump.

thanks so much!

Todd100
09/14/2012, 10:23 PM
They're both good from the research and reviews I've done. I heard the Bubble Magnus's sometimes have motor start problems but that is a fairly common thing among several brands (SWC, Bubble Magnus, and the previous generation Sicce pump). You sometimes need to blow in the airline to get it started. IDK why. This was unacceptable for me as I wanted to skim 6 hours per night due to noise concerns. There is a thread here thats titled skimmer Q and A run by a guy named Mojo. He is very knowledgeable and makes no nosense recommedations. For what it's worth he's tested tons of skimmers and runs a reef octo 1000 on his current tank. I can recommend ATB, or Reef Octopus cones, or Seaside Aquatics cone skimmers, except for the one without the silencer...also Bubble King anything is awesome but they cost the most. Get a quality cone skimmer with a good pump and you will love it. The reason cone skimmers are better is the foams gets more and more concentrated which pushes organics upwards more efficiently.

klwheat
09/14/2012, 10:29 PM
Just my personal experience here, I've owned one bm and several ro. The bm was "ok" and did the job. I have another reef octopus now and probably always will. The pumps are excellent and they just work.