PDA

View Full Version : Duel Sumps and or Frag tank pumbed to sump

Sapsis
09/15/2012, 01:28 AM
So I have a 92 corner Tank so my under tank space is limited. I was thinking about connecting 2 10 gallon tanks ( all that will fit) through a 1" bulkhead drilled low on each tank level to connect the 2. I would imagine they would stay at the same water level.

or is it better to make an overflow for 1 into the other in which case what size plumbing should I use?

then with the extra space I can add a small LED fixture to make it a small built in frag tank or add smaller LED fixture for a refugium.

Plan would be overflow drains to 1 and return pump goes out of the other.

Thoughts? suggestions ?

( Yes i just noticed the plumbed typo in the title, gotta love late night posts)

Sapsis
09/15/2012, 01:05 PM
Anyone thoughts?

Sapsis
09/16/2012, 05:19 PM
bump

Gorgok
09/16/2012, 10:25 PM
I built a sump out of acrylic for my corner tank. A cardboard template of the bottom let me precisely see what size/shape tank i could fit in and use as much room as possible. Basically it ended up being just like the pentagon shape up top with the far corner notched in.

As for the original idea, where the bulkheads are doesn't really matter for joining them, as long as its underwater completely when setup... but the higher the easier it would be to separate them later.

I wouldn't put a frag tank down in the stand though, fuge or just more water, but frags in a place you have to bend down to get at and stuff... annoying.

Sapsis
09/16/2012, 11:26 PM
I built a sump out of acrylic for my corner tank. A cardboard template of the bottom let me precisely see what size/shape tank i could fit in and use as much room as possible. Basically it ended up being just like the pentagon shape up top with the far corner notched in.

As for the original idea, where the bulkheads are doesn't really matter for joining them, as long as its underwater completely when setup... but the higher the easier it would be to separate them later.

I wouldn't put a frag tank down in the stand though, fuge or just more water, but frags in a place you have to bend down to get at and stuff... annoying.

I would be all about building one. any chance you have so Specs on you or a How to? what size is your corner tank?