PDA

View Full Version : Outlet programming question

DocCoral
09/15/2012, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone! I hope someone can help me with this problem. Here is what i am trying to do. I have a top off pump that I want to limit to 25 seconds. If it goes past that I want it to stop and not come back on. I have a Outlet called Top_Off which checks a switch and has a defer command to turn it on after it senses the switch open for more then 5 minutes. (This works fine by its self).

Here is the problem: I created a virtual outlet called Top_Off_ERR with the following commands:

Fallback OFF
If Outlet Top_Off = ON Then ON
Defer 000:25 Then ON

I then added a line to my Top_Off program (If Outlet Top_Off_ERR = ON Then OFF) to prevent it from turning on again until I manually reset it.

Seems simple, but whenever I turn this outlet on (Top_Off_ERR) it waits for 25 seconds and then turns on, even though the Top_Off outlet stays off. It doesn't seem to care what the status is for the outlet it checks. (I tried other outlets like my heater but its the same result...)

Can anyone give me a hand? I appreciate it!

Thanks

RussM
09/15/2012, 06:09 PM
Are you turning it on manually? If so, that ignores the programming.

RussM
09/15/2012, 06:11 PM
If you want to test it, unplug the ARO pump and then manually turn on the Top_off outlet then observe in about 25 minutes.

DocCoral
09/15/2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I was actually turning it to AUTO, and when I do it waits for whatever the Defer is and then turns ON, no matter what the Outlet is doing. I have fought with it for some time with no luck! If I add a command such as IF Outlet Top_Off = OFF then OFF it remains off, but then resets itself which I don't want.

jackmccr
09/15/2012, 08:06 PM
I have a similar setup for my ATO. See three below. There is a section that limits ATO to 4 minutes (which can easily be changed to 25 seconds)

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2212870

DocCoral
09/15/2012, 08:41 PM
Jackmccr - Thanks for showing me your thread!! I looked through it and found a work around to my problem. I saw you used the Min Time to lock the Outlet state, which is what I needed. Here is the code that works for me in case anyone is curious:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
Min Time 999:00 Then ON

This will wait until the top off has been running for 25 seconds and then switches ON (at which time the Top Off is disabled to prevent a kalkwasser disaster). The Min Time keeps it there for 999 hours (hopefully I will check it before then!) This seems a bit hacked and not too elegant but at least it works!

RussM
09/17/2012, 03:22 PM
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
Min Time 999:00 Then ON
There are 2 issues with this approach.

What if you are not able to investigate the cause of the longer-than-expected ATO run within 999 minutes? It will resume automatic operations. after 999 minutes.
How do you plan to reset the Top_Off_ERR outlet? Switching it to Manual OFF and back to Auto won't work - programming continues to run in the background for each outlet even when the outlet is set to manual ON or OFF; the Manual setting just overrides the programming. When you return to Auto, the outlet will go to the state the programming says it should be in per the programming. While the ERR outlet is ON, and you switch it to Manual OFF then go back to Auto, the Min Time will still make the outlet be ON. So, once your Top_Off_ERR outlet is activated, the only ways you can reset it to normal (OFF) is to wait until the 999-minute hold runs out, reboot the Apex, or remove the programming for a moment then put it back up.

The right way to do this is with another virtual outlet.

[ERR_Reset] (new VO)

Set OFF

[Top_Off_ERR]
If Outlet ERR_Reset = ON Then OFF

Notice that the Fallback OFF is no longer there - Fallback only works with real EnergyBar outlets. Also, Set OFF is gone, as is Min Time. Once the Top_Off_ERR is turned on, it will stay on until the Apex is rebooted or - Ta Da! - the ERR_Reset outlet is switched to Manual ON for a few seconds then put back to Auto, thereby causing the Top_Off_ERR outlet to turn OFF.