PDA

View Full Version : walmart heater

knap_123
09/15/2012, 09:31 PM
Walmart has 2 heaters.1 only plugs in and not very good. But I saw a second that has adjustable thermostats and much longer. Looks to be as good as any I saw at petco. Has anyone used. This heater? I think it was a tetra.

Runfrumu
09/15/2012, 10:09 PM
I wouldnt risk my tank on a walmart heater.

kenghmoob
09/16/2012, 12:46 AM
I wouldnt risk my tank on a walmart heater.

+1

If you have goldfish or a tank that is expendable, then by all means go for it. Other wise stick with what works

91mini
09/16/2012, 09:15 AM
What are some good, reliable, inexpensive heaters? I will need to get mine soon.

Agu
09/16/2012, 09:20 AM
Back in my freshwater days I had a heater stick in the on position, killed everything. Heaters scare the heck out of me and I'll only use the best available.

moondoggy4
09/16/2012, 09:50 AM
All heaters go bad, so a lot of people put them on controllers such as Reef Keeper Lite 120 bucks Apex Jr 150 bucks a ranco controller 50 to 70 bucks, it can get expensive but the controller also can turn your lights on and off and control fans when the tanks gets to hot. This is a good investment and worth saving for.
Cobalt came out with a new heater maybe something to take a chance at, most people use Eheim Ebo jager heaters but they still can fail I have one that will not shut off but Eheim gave me a new one.

BeanAnimal
09/16/2012, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't trust any heater. You really need to be using a Ranco or similar temperature controller. The internal thermostat on the heater can then be set just above the actual running point and used as a fail-safe in the unlikely event that the Ranco fails on.

moondoggy4
09/16/2012, 10:08 AM
A good a place to look to buy equipment is in the sponsor section, they have a better selection and pricing also. I wish I used that when I started again.

frogmaster421
09/16/2012, 10:09 AM
itwill work for 2-3 months then start acting funny

jlanger
09/16/2012, 10:50 AM
All heaters go bad, so a lot of people put them on controllers such as Reef Keeper Lite 120 bucks Apex Jr 150 bucks a ranco controller 50 to 70 bucks, it can get expensive but the controller also can turn your lights on and off and control fans when the tanks gets to hot. This is a good investment and worth saving for.

Definitely agree!

My system was slowly creeping up to about 82 degrees and was just thinking it was our warmer summer temps. I purchased a small cooling fan to help keep the temps down. But when it got up to 84 degrees and I saw that the heater light was on along with the fan running, I knew the heater may be the problem.
I purchased a ReefKeeper Lite and have the heater and a cooling fan set up to keep my temps in check. After a week, the temp has not moved from 78.0 degrees and my corals are beginning to perk back up.
Don't trust heaters alone!

-JASON

cap032
09/16/2012, 02:07 PM
I would say it depends on what brand it is. Different Wal Mart stores carry different stuff. My local Wal Mart used to carry Marineland heaters. They arent the best, but I never had an issue with one. I bought an Aqueon from my lfs.........stuck off. Just try and buy the most reliable you can within your budget. If you have the funds, a reef keeper lite would be a great investment.

knap_123
09/16/2012, 03:31 PM
this is all good info, thanks. i live in ala. and the weather is hot here and mild in the winter. with this climate is a heater nesacary?

cap032
09/16/2012, 03:54 PM
this is all good info, thanks. i live in ala. and the weather is hot here and mild in the winter. with this climate is a heater nesacary?

Im in Bama as well and I run one. We tend to keep our house around 75 year around and I like my tank 78-79. So it depends on what your house temp is.

knap_123
09/16/2012, 04:32 PM
thanks, wich part of the heart of dixie you in? im in alex city WAR EAGLE!!!!

Neptune_Fan
09/16/2012, 05:01 PM

I live in South Florida and we have really hot summers and our "winters" can get pretty cold ( last year had days in the 40s) and I use a heater. My home usually stays around 74 with the AC on and my tank is set for 79. And I dont use a chiller.

cap032
09/16/2012, 05:47 PM
thanks, wich part of the heart of dixie you in? im in alex city WAR EAGLE!!!!

Im in Shelby. ROOOOOOOLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!! lol

mandarin_goby
09/16/2012, 06:42 PM
+1

If you have goldfish or a tank that is expendable, then by all means go for it. Other wise stick with what works

Ugh. Nothing in a tank is expendable. Not even goldfish.

I've never had a heater crap out in 20+ years of keeping fish. I do hear Eheim Jagers are pretty reliable. Check out Amazon - you'll get reviews from users there.

BeanAnimal
09/16/2012, 08:31 PM
Mandrin,

There are plenty of folks that have never worn a seatbelt and never been hurt...

The point here is that an aquarium heater is extremely failure prone in the ON position. By taking a few simple precautions, most of the risk can be avoided.

This come up so often that I took the time to explain the problem and solutions in detail:
http://www.beananimal.com/articles/aquarium-heaters-what-you-need-to-know!.aspx

It is easier to post a link than to repeat the discussion every few weeks :)

mandarin_goby
09/16/2012, 09:24 PM
Great article! Thank you for sharing.

BeanAnimal
09/16/2012, 09:35 PM
Quite welcome! It is a regular topic here :)

a.browning
09/16/2012, 10:26 PM
I would not trust a Walmart heater as others have mentioned. This is one of the most critical pieces of equipment on your tank, and I wouldn't risk it. Eheim Jagers are the best, in my opinion. I run 2 off my apex for added backup.