PDA

View Full Version : Little white specks on glass?

andy2966
09/16/2012, 07:07 PM
I have a 90 gallon with a sump and I noticed in the sump that these white spots were all over the glass. Now I am getting a bunch of them in MY dt. It looks like a piece of sand pasted to the glass. I don't notice any movement. Any Ideas on what these are?

zoafarm
09/16/2012, 07:50 PM
maybe snail eggs...but without a picture, it's kind of hard to make a guess. :)

andy2966
09/16/2012, 07:56 PM
That's what I was thinking also. But they never move anywhere that I notice. I can use my fingernail and scrape them off and they just float to the bottom. I have a blue backround on The DT and it looks like a buch of stars under the moonlight. They are also on the side glass but none on the front of the tank. The sump is covered with them and I don't have any sand in the sump just live rock. Will try to get a pic

andy2966
09/16/2012, 08:01 PM
This is about the only place they show up in the pic. This is on the back glass of the DT.203831

andy2966
09/16/2012, 08:05 PM
one more pic.

andy2966
09/16/2012, 08:06 PM
I just took a close look into the back part of my sump and the Glass and Rocks are covered with these white specks. About the size of a grain of sand.

ajcanale
09/16/2012, 08:46 PM
Those are tiny feather dusters and/or vertemid snails. Very common in refugiums

andy2966
09/16/2012, 08:51 PM
Those are tiny feather dusters and/or vertemid snails. Very common in refugiums
do I need to do anything? They are multiplying like crazy the last couple weeks. Pods also

sail33
09/16/2012, 09:04 PM
How old is your set up? I couldn't identify what they were for certain but I had a similar issue. On closer inspection, they had a pink tint and turned out to be the very beginning of coralin spread. Not an unhealthy situation but if they block the view...not so good.

I'd suggest that you try to scrape a few off and look under magnifying glass.

Also, if they are some kind of encrusting stuff, at least scrape them off the viewing areas before they get a solid foot hold.

SushiGirl
09/16/2012, 09:06 PM
Everything will boom for a while then die back to normal proportions. I agree with the spirorbid (featherduster) worm suggestion, though I can't really tell from the pic. Close up they would look like tiny spirals. Otherwise I'd have to go with nerite snail eggs, but those are usually all the same size.

AliciaP
09/16/2012, 09:08 PM
I agree with the feather duster worm. I have a ton in my sump. And a couple rocks in my DT are covered pretty well too.

andy2966
09/16/2012, 09:13 PM
How old is your set up? I couldn't identify what they were for certain but I had a similar issue. On closer inspection, they had a pink tint and turned out to be the very beginning of coralin spread. Not an unhealthy situation but if they block the view...not so good.

I'd suggest that you try to scrape a few off and look under magnifying glass.

Also, if they are some kind of encrusting stuff, at least scrape them off the viewing areas before they get a solid foot hold. Tank has been running for 3 months. They are kinda stuck to the glass and do not seem to move at all.I can scrape them off with my finger nail but they don't budge if I just rub them with my finger. Kinda like they are glued in place.

worm5406
09/16/2012, 10:34 PM
Take a look at these. I had not looked at this part of the rock in great detail (zoom) before, so they were in a new place compared to some of my other ones.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ViXw4xEeF4Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

andy2966
09/16/2012, 10:37 PM
Just read this article>>>>Nerites have separate genders and engage in internal fertilisation. They have a complex reproductive system to achieve this, and to produce nutrition-packed eggs in protective capsules. The white circular egg capsules are sometimes seen in rock pools, under rocks and in moist crevices. Each egg capsule may have more than 30 eggs. These hatch into free-swimming larvae that only later settle down to develop into snails.

andy2966
09/16/2012, 10:42 PM
I just enlarged the 2 pics on my computer and a couple of the larger ones do look exactly like the ones in your pic. Had to do a major zoom in to see it.

andy2966
10/13/2012, 08:40 AM
Update. The white spots are now all over the back glass. and some on the side glass. Should I scrape them off or leave them alone? There are none on the front glass and a few on the side glass that I cannot get of with a magnet algae cleaner. Still not sure what they are. But my back round is Blue and it has like Hundreds of the white specs all different sizes. Any Ideas??

KLU
10/13/2012, 08:49 AM
I have the exact same thing in my tanks....I was told it is the feather duster thing. Not a problem other than you probably need to do more or bigger water changes.

SushiGirl
10/13/2012, 09:51 AM
If you don't want them there, just scrape them off. They're probably spirorbid worms as mentioned previously. Use an old credit card to scrape them off.

Sith2095
10/13/2012, 10:11 AM
I have them all over my tank as well. Nothing bad, just depends on if they bother you looking at them or not.

twilmot
10/13/2012, 11:45 AM
I also get a lot of these. I normaly scrape them off the black glass as it's painted black and they stick out like a sore thumb. I leave them alone in the sump though.

jeffreed39
10/13/2012, 12:52 PM
I left mine alone and just scraped ones off viewing areas, last time I ask on here they told me it was a sign of good water quality, I don't know about snails though (IMO) if mine were snails I would have seen some by now, but I do have a lot of feather dusters, it looks cool when you have a lot, I'd leave em in back...... unless you like the blue background.

andy2966
10/13/2012, 02:27 PM
If you don't want them there, just scrape them off. They're probably spirorbid worms as mentioned previously. Use an old credit card to scrape them off.