PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on HI 83203 - Multiparameter Photometer for Aquaculture

ReefShrink
09/16/2012, 07:52 PM
Curious to hear thoughts about the applicability of this device in our hobby. Is anyone using it or have experience with it? Yes, I know the cost is high but I would like to leave that factor out and try to focus the discussion on the technical and practical uses of this.

http://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?id=009003&ProdCode=HI%2083203

I tried to do a search on this but didn't find anything, so if this has already been discussed would appreciate it if someone could direct me to it.

.Marshall
09/16/2012, 08:07 PM
How much exactly?

ReefShrink
09/16/2012, 08:29 PM
It sells for $400

bertoni
09/17/2012, 12:50 AM
The phosphate and nitrate tests are the more useful parameters it can measure. The pH should be okay, too. I don't think it's worth the cost. Many of the tests won't work with seawater.

tecapparatus
09/17/2012, 05:50 AM
Interesting, I while back on reefbuilder there was a link to reef marketed photometer that sold for what I think was $800 (sorry cant find on site).

no3 and po4 would have the most benefit, likely do to accuracy vs effort.

The manual is probably I good starting point for test method, reagents as well. ebay shop for a photometer. If your anything like me, you find it pretty cool to own lab equipment. My man cave is actually referred to as the lab.

bnumair
09/17/2012, 07:18 AM
i dont think its worth the cost for really not all that important test in an established tank except for phos and nitrates.
API $6-10 kits will get you by for the rest of all the parameters indicated.

ReefShrink
09/17/2012, 08:01 AM
Well confirmed with Hanna that the majority of the tests will not work for saltwater application. So useless at this point.

acroman
09/17/2012, 02:14 PM
You would be better off with something like this: http://www.hach.com/dr-800-multi-parameter-colorimeter-configurator/product-configurator?id=11171572400&callback=bc
These things work great, and are pretty simple to operate.

ReefShrink
09/17/2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks acroman. I'll take a look at it.

I also came across the LaMotte Smart3. Contacted LaMotte and spoke with one of their techs. This unit is supposed to work with saltwater (referred to as saline water in the manual) for the following parameters: pH, ammonia, iodine, nitrites, nitrates, copper, phosphates, phosphorus, and silica. Obviously saline water and ocean saltwater are not exactly the same, so curious to know how much this matters.

ReefShrink
09/17/2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks acroman. I'll take a look at it.

I also came across the LaMotte Smart3. Contacted LaMotte and spoke with one of their techs. This unit is supposed to work with saltwater (referred to as saline water in the manual) for the following parameters: pH, ammonia, iodine, nitrites, nitrates, copper, phosphates, phosphorus, and silica. Obviously saline water and ocean saltwater are not exactly the same, so curious to know how much this matters. For those who will want to know how much it costs: $780. But not asking for a cost benefit analyisis - more interested in the discussion of the technical aspects of it.

disc1
09/17/2012, 05:09 PM
Beware that saline water, salt water, and seawater may have different connotations. When you ask, don't ask about saltwater, ask about seawater.

When they say saline they are most likely only talking about just NaCl. Useful for some, think medical, but not us.

bertoni
09/17/2012, 11:39 PM
The Smart3 won't work with seawater for most parameters unless it's been changed drastically lately. The same was true for the Hach product line as well.

ReefShrink
09/18/2012, 11:15 AM
Okay good to know. Thanks for the input everyone.

bertoni
09/18/2012, 08:40 PM
You're welcome!

GusDiaz
11/22/2012, 09:56 AM
I have been using the HI 82203 since over a year now. It gives very reliable readings. It is the one that is advised by HI to be used on salt water (reef) aquariums. Most of the other test that the other 832XX series will not work on salt water.