PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Overflow Repair

brad
09/17/2012, 08:53 AM
I have a 270 gallon tank (about 2'x2'x30"). The previous owner installed a small corner overflow (4"x4") and drilled a 2" hole in the side of the tank for the drain. This gives a huge and very visible pipe sticking out of the side of the tank. My fiance has actually suggested buying a whole new tank to avoid seeing this pipe.

I have to take down the tank to redo the floor underneath it. I was hoping to fix this problem while I have tank down. I can drill a new hole in the bottom or back of the tank, and run a new drain. The real problem is what to do with the old hole. If I leave the existing bulkhead on the way it is now, I'd have a capped 2" pipe sticking out the side which will look almost as bad. I can reverse the bulkhead so the pipe sticks into the overflow, but the overflow is already too small. I am tempted to try to either take out the overflow completely and put in a larger one, or try to repair the hole. How hard are either of these modifications?

Floowid
09/17/2012, 02:17 PM
Repair is simple. Cut a piece of acrylic in a square bigger than the hole, and silicone it in place on the inside (wet side) of the tank. If the tank is also acrylic you can use Weld-on to affix the piece. I closed up a hole in a glass sump this way over 10 years ago, and it is still water tight. Since this hole is inside the overflow and not subject to any real pressure, I don't think you will have any problems.