PDA

View Full Version : Water under tank...

kad1979
09/18/2012, 02:52 PM
Question, is there an easy way to remove water under a tank? I only have a 12g but last night the filter floss and chemi-pure i have in the first compartment didnt allow enough flow. So water back up into the DT and overflowed a little bit...none on the floor.

I now have some water under the tank...not a ton as I was able to get quite a bit out by sliding the tank or rotating. But there is a little. And as you know salt water on wood is no bueno.

Any tricks out there?

A sea K
09/18/2012, 03:11 PM
Soak up all you possibly can and then place a fan directed at the spill for the quickest drying time.

sleepydoc
09/18/2012, 06:11 PM
What's the tank sitting on and do you care if it molds? If it's really important, for such a small tank I would consider simply draining the tank and moving it (with some help.)

If the possibility of some mold is not the end of the world, try the fan route mentioned above

kad1979
09/18/2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys. Darn, I was hoping there was some brilliant idea I have not heard of. The tank sits in my home office where I spend a ton of time so I have slowly been pushing the corner of paper towels under...good way to pass the time of conference calls. Just on a wood filing cabinet, I'll go with the fan technique.

Thanks again!

thegrun
09/18/2012, 06:37 PM
If you can slip paper towels under the edges of the stand it will help wick up the water. If there is a lot of water under the tank, drain a couple of gallons out of the tank and move the tank and stand to get to the spill.

gone fishin
09/18/2012, 06:43 PM
if you can get a paper towel under maybe you can get a shop vac hose to pull the water out.

kad1979
09/18/2012, 06:55 PM
if you can get a paper towel under maybe you can get a shop vac hose to pull the water out.

You gave me an idea... Will try the flat shop vac attachment but duct tape off most of it except for a slit. This way the only air it can pull is the air (or water!) from under the tank...

gone fishin
09/18/2012, 06:57 PM
glad to be of help