PDA

View Full Version : using return as main flow

Swanwillow
09/19/2012, 09:25 AM
Howdy! Long time no talk. Anyway

I am upgrading in the next week to a 75 gallon. It has a 1 1/2" drain on it (custom made, it looks so darn cool) But I want to get rid of powerheads. I also do not feel secure enough myself to drill holes into the tank for a closed loop, so was pondering getting a return pump big enough to be my main flow also. 1 pump, thinking 4 return outlets. Anyone with suggestions on anything big enough to handle what I want?

downbeach
09/19/2012, 09:43 AM
This will depend somewhat on what you want to keep. This may not be enough flow for many SPS corals. Also, your flow will be limited by the amount your drain can safely deal with. There is also a question of how much flow you want through your sump. The plumbing and number of fittings will have an impact too. I would put a design together and take a look at the head loss calculator, and design something that will not exceed the capabilities of your overflow.

http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

Swanwillow
09/19/2012, 09:50 AM
Already did that. Overflow can handle 1500ish gallons per hour. to handle 1400 gallons in my sump, I need around a 17 gallon sump. Head loss is what's killer.

james1990
09/19/2012, 10:08 AM
I would think speeding up the flow through the system is putting more stress, creating more noise, and creating a greater risk of something going wrong. Why are you against a power head?

Swanwillow
09/19/2012, 10:13 AM
I'm tired of going through them. I'm replacing powerheads so often its not even amusing anymore. I'd rather invest in a good pump now, and only one, than spend 200+ a year in powerheads.

Swanwillow
09/19/2012, 10:24 AM
Alright, so since that's been decided 'not a good idea'.. What IS a decent in-sump pump for around 1000 gph at 3.5' of head? (Single line return)

a.browning
09/19/2012, 10:25 AM
I feel your pain.. wasted a TON of money on Koralias, assuming that's what you were using. They break all the time. That's why I bought 2 Vortech MP40s for my 75 and couldn't be happier. I'd look into some quality powerheads like Vortech or Tunze instead of oversizing your return pump. Larger return means more energy, more heat, more noise from both the pump and drain, and more risk for failure. I wouldn't trust one drain alone for that much flow-- imagine the accident that could cause. I would use a properly sized pump, get some good powerheads and call it a day. The vortechs are nice because they take up so little room in the tank.

Just my take on it at least!

sirreal63
09/19/2012, 10:27 AM
Buy better powerheads, it is cheaper in the long run. 1400 gph through a small sump will be fun to watch. You can certainly do it but 1400 gph in a 75 is very poor flow.

Swanwillow
09/19/2012, 10:41 AM
I have a MP10. Realize they only have a year warranty, and the bearings go out after a year and a half.. >.< Yes, I am currently using koralias, since they're cheap and break in about the same time span as the MP10 did. I have also helped work with Tunze's at the local science center where we have a 200+ gallon system running. They break just the same as the others. After I figure out how to fix my MP10 it'll also be on the tank, its now down to taking apart the dry-side and ordering the bearings that went out.

This isn't a matter of not WANTING powerheads. Its a matter of replacing less of them over time.

downbeach
09/19/2012, 10:46 AM
I have a total of 4 Tunze that I use in a 180, two that run 24/7 and two that run on 2 hour on/off cycles that are 5 yrs old....no problems here. I do remove them about every 3 to 4 months for a good cleaning and vinegar bath.

ReachTheSky
09/19/2012, 01:28 PM
I agree with buying better powerheads. Having a return pump that's too powerful can also cause unsightly micro-bubbles galore.

Lionfish666
09/19/2012, 06:18 PM
I'm all for no powerheads too. Just don't like the look of them.
Look into enductors, they are perfect for your situation, and cheap!