PDA

View Full Version : Power Lost/Restore question

L8ndeb
09/19/2012, 12:13 PM
Hi Gang,

I have my EB8 plugged into the wall, and my controller on a small battery backup. I have noticed that when I lose power, I'm sure because of the battery backup, the power status lines in the all status screen do not reflect the power loss.
Is there a way to change a setting to reflect power losses using a 12v battery backup? I know the Power Monitor Enable option is if I have the EB8 plugged into a UPS, so I don't think that is my answer. TIA

swearint
09/19/2012, 01:53 PM
This sounds like a bug I reported a year or so ago. On some units, with power on the 12VDC port, the Apex will not recognize when power is lost on an EB8.
You might want to send an email to [email protected] to see if they have any input.

I got around the problem by running a second EB8 from a large UPS. So critical items are on UPS, the other is used to detect the loss of mains power and respond accordingly.

The Power Monitor setting is a seperate issue. It merely tells the Apex whether to monitor the port or the Aquabus for reporting power loss to the base unit. With 12VDC power supplied from a UPS, there is really no point to Enable it since it won't be lost.

Todd

L8ndeb
09/19/2012, 02:02 PM
This sounds like a bug I reported a year or so ago. On some units, with power on the 12VDC port, the Apex will not recognize when power is lost on an EB8.
You might want to send an email to [email protected] to see if they have any input.

I got around the problem by running a second EB8 from a large UPS. So critical items are on UPS, the other is used to detect the loss of mains power and respond accordingly.

The Power Monitor setting is a seperate issue. It merely tells the Apex whether to monitor the port or the Aquabus for reporting power loss to the base unit. With 12VDC power supplied from a UPS, there is really no point to Enable it since it won't be lost.

Todd

Hi Todd and thanks for the response. I didn't think the Power Monitor was the answer. I will email Neptune and see what they say/do.

Crackem
09/19/2012, 04:22 PM
I have 2 eb8 and the ac adapter and a small battery backup. I just want to get an email if power goes out. I was planning on plugging 1 eb8 into the ups and the a/c adapter and the other eb8 into the wall. I will also have my wireless bridge on the ups. Will this work?

swearint
09/19/2012, 04:33 PM
Maybe. I don't think the bug I mentioned applies to all units, so you will just have to try it and see. Although, if you are running one of the EB8s from the UPS, you would not need the adapter. However, I assume you will have other equipment on this EB8. So the issue is whether the UPS is large enough to handle the load.

Todd

Crackem
09/19/2012, 08:49 PM
What if I only plug the ac adapter and the wireless bridge into the UPS. Will I still be able to get a power outage email?

swearint
09/19/2012, 08:57 PM
Theoretically yes, as long as your unit does not have the bug. Once I added the second EB8, I did not pursue the issue with Neptune. I don't really know how prevelant it is.

Todd