PDA

View Full Version : Fewer byproducts with kalk vs 2 part?

jeremy K
09/20/2012, 07:13 AM
I have been dosing 2 part (BRS recipe 1) for several years. Lately I have noticed a decline in the health of my SPS and am trying to find out why (in spite of all my parameters measuring ideal).

One thought I had was that it might be due to byproducts of the 2 part (chlorides, sulfates, etc) given that I only do monthly water changes. I thought that perhaps all the extra ions may build up in the solution undetected, since my water changes are infrequent.

In this regard, is kalk dosing better than 2 part? Would there be fewer garbage ions and byproducts that way?

screamingibis
09/20/2012, 07:44 AM
I do 10 percent water change once per week and a 30 percent water change once every two months. I also dose kalk in the ATO and dose two part. I was reading JPmagyar's thread on his 240 and he changes a lot of water. I think something like 150 gallons on a 240 weekly. Now I'll have to go back and re-read the post.

Hpefully others will chime in since I'm interested in their answers as well.

MetroKat
09/20/2012, 08:18 AM
SPS need really good water quality, once a month WC are not enough. Swish the surface of your water with your fingers, do the bubbles that form burst quickly or take a little bit of time? If they take time, you have a high nutrient load in your water, you need to skim heavily and do weekly water changes.

jeremy K
09/20/2012, 08:30 AM
SPS need really good water quality, once a month WC are not enough. Swish the surface of your water with your fingers, do the bubbles that form burst quickly or take a little bit of time? If they take time, you have a high nutrient load in your water, you need to skim heavily and do weekly water changes.

MetroKat, nutrients are definitely not the issue. I have an over-sized skimmer, lots of rock, a fuge with chaeto, run biopellets, run dual reactors with GFO and GAC, and a bag of purigen just for fun. I haven't detected any nitrates or phosphates in my system in years. So I do not believe that nutrients are the issue. That's why I am looking for other potential factors, such as improper ion balance. Hence my original question.

bertoni
09/20/2012, 11:13 PM
How big is the monthly water change?

jeremy K
09/21/2012, 06:30 AM
How big is the monthly water change?

Around 15g out of a total water volume of estimated 80g.

bertoni
09/21/2012, 11:43 PM
Hmm, I think that should be enough to deal with any ionic shift.

downbeach
09/22/2012, 06:58 AM
Depending on your bio load, using Kalk by itself may not keep up with the demand of your system. I do both, I use the two part to get my param's where I want them and then use kalk in my top off to maintain them. This allows me to do less dosing of the two part, less frequently. I do bi-monthly water changes of about 25 gal. of my net 180 gal. volume.

Starting with your Salinity, what are your param's, i.e. Ca, Mg and Alk? What do you use to measure them?

jeremy K
09/22/2012, 07:28 PM
Hmm, I think that should be enough to deal with any ionic shift.

Ok...but would there theoretically be significantly less waste ions with kalk in the interval between dosing, or would these ions be insignificant?

As an aside, the only other thing I can think of as a possible cause of the problem is that I used the wrong type of superglue to glue a frag a few weeks ago. Instead of the usual plain superglue gel, I used the new superglue Ultra. Not sure if this is reef safe or not. If not, woul it likely continue to leach toxins after setting, or just when wet?

bertoni
09/22/2012, 08:14 PM
Kalk will reduce the ionic shift. Sorry, here's some details on the two-part effects:

/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#22