PDA

View Full Version : Flow Question - 75G Mixed Reef

jg93
09/21/2012, 08:04 AM
Hey all -

I set up a 75 gallon mixed reef about 5 months ago. I have 2 Ecotech Vortch MP10w's, one on each end, running max in anti-synch mode. The return pump is a Mag 7.

I've got a pretty open set up, and I see growth and movement all over the tank, but now I'm thinking I should get more circulation.

Is this something I can wait on until the tank grows in a little? I do have lots of LPS's in the middle/bottom, some medium sized (4") SPS's up top.

If I do need to upgrade, do you have an specific recommendations? Also, on a typical bird's nest or acro, what would be considered good growth rate?

Thanks for your time,

Jeff

jg93
09/21/2012, 08:12 PM
quick bump to see if anyone can help me please.

Michigan Mike
09/21/2012, 09:22 PM
Sell me an mp10 and get a mp40;)
Or add a couple large koralias

hollister
09/21/2012, 09:30 PM
Theres a few things to look for. Debris gathering , water readings stay a bit high and water changes increase.
Whene you feed add some extra and watch how it flows. Look for low and or no flow areas and adjust flow dirrection or flow rate as needed.
A good average is 10 to 15 gallons per hour times the tank size. More if you are fully stocked less if stock real low.

robertcedgar
09/22/2012, 08:53 AM
Keep your money in your pocket. Your tank is doing well and you have a turnover rater of more than 20x per hour. There is no need to upgrade or spend additional money. The truest test of flow is a thriving tank and it appears as though you have that.....

Anemonebuff
09/22/2012, 09:10 AM
Keep your money in your pocket. Your tank is doing well and you have a turnover rater of more than 20x per hour. There is no need to upgrade or spend additional money. The truest test of flow is a thriving tank and it appears as though you have that.....

Ditto.

jg93
09/24/2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks so much for the help. I wouldn't still be in reefing if it weren't for these forums ;)