PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Dosing

Jarred1
09/21/2012, 05:30 PM
I want to begin carbon doing but I am having a few problems. For the last two weeks I have been dosing the tank with interceptor to get rid of red bugs (working great so far). A few days after the first dose I began to get a massive diatom bloom, I'm assuming it is from the pods dying. Now I having a little bit of a hair algae bloom along with the diatoms. I tested nitrates and go 0 ppm from api test kit and tested phosphates with hanna checker and go a reading of .09. I know those readings can't be right because there is algae growing daily. If I can't get good readings on those two parameters what should I do to start the carbon dosing process?

Thanks in advance,
Jarred

swcc
09/21/2012, 06:54 PM
well the growth of the algae is taking up nutrients and removing them from the water column...
Why are you choosing vodka dosing and what were you nitrate/PO4 levels before you had to kill the red bugs?

bertoni
09/22/2012, 12:04 AM
I agree that the algae probably are taking up the nutrients as they're released. I'd probably start dosing now, but the tank might need some GFO to reduce the phosphate level. That's fairly common, as far as I can tell, because the fish foods we tend to add are rather high in phosphate.