PDA

View Full Version : Rimless Safety Question

Bezzini
09/21/2012, 08:50 PM
Would you be comfortable with a 52"Lx24"Wx20"H 1/2" glass rimless?

The reputable manufacturer I am using gave the ok, however, I have seen other builders limiting to 48"L/20"H. Will the extra 4"L be cause for concern?

Thanks!

rovster
09/21/2012, 09:11 PM
That's pushing it, but it may work. Reef Savvy built my tank, and he would not do a 20" height. Their guidelines are for safety, not cuz they want to be difficult with you. FWIW, my tank is 52" x 26" x 19" at 1/2" glass so very similar to what you want. Very nice dimensions for sure. Mine is not wet, but waiting for me to finish my plumbing. It's in the garage now, LOL!

uncleof6
09/22/2012, 12:18 AM
15mm sides, 19mm bottom. 12mm will bow, a bit more, and will not be all that safe. Yes 1" makes a difference.

rovster
09/22/2012, 07:14 AM
Forgot to mention, the bottom of the tank has internal bracing all the way around. Not sure if that makes a difference, but thought I'd add that.

Bezzini
09/22/2012, 07:36 AM
15mm sides, 19mm bottom. 12mm will bow, a bit more, and will not be all that safe. Yes 1" makes a difference.

Would it be acceptable to add a eurobrace?

I would hate to ruin the rimless look, but I'd rather add glass now rather than replace wood floors later.

Bezzini
09/22/2012, 07:44 AM
That's pushing it, but it may work. Reef Savvy built my tank, and he would not do a 20" height. Their guidelines are for safety, not cuz they want to be difficult with you. FWIW, my tank is 52" x 26" x 19" at 1/2" glass so very similar to what you want. Very nice dimensions for sure. Mine is not wet, but waiting for me to finish my plumbing. It's in the garage now, LOL!

Love those dimensions! I wouldn't mind losing an inch or two in height for added safety, but the tank is already in production as spec'ed. I'm surprised builder is letting this one by...I will have to figure something out to make it safer.

Do you have a pic of your tank?

uncleof6
09/22/2012, 10:33 AM
Would it be acceptable to add a eurobrace?

I would hate to ruin the rimless look, but I'd rather add glass now rather than replace wood floors later.

With 15mm sides and a 19mm bottom, the euro(s) would not be needed. You use 12mm sides, 12mm bottom panel, you will need top and bottom euros. The tallest rimless tank you can use 12mm glass on (with your footprint) would be 18"--@ 19" you would be pushing it, and really should be euro'd and @ 20" you need the euros.

Bezzini
09/22/2012, 11:06 AM
With 15mm sides and a 19mm bottom, the euro(s) would not be needed. You use 12mm sides, 12mm bottom panel, you will need top and bottom euros. The tallest rimless tank you can use 12mm glass on (with your footprint) would be 18"--@ 19" you would be pushing it, and really should be euro'd and @ 20" you need the euros.

I'm surprised Miracles is going through with production of this tank without any bracing (besides the usual black trim/brace around the exterior of the base).

Hopefully I can get them to add euros before it ships, or I will end up doing it.
Unfortunately, this is the re-do to a tank that shipped to me while the quality control guy was out taking care of personal matters. What a nightmare. :headwalls:

Thanks for the help.

uncleof6
09/22/2012, 11:32 AM
Miracles is probably using the water height, 19", rather than the total height of the tank. The 1" difference, puts it in the "pushing it" category with me, but that does not mean it will fail. Some builders go up, and some builders go down, when the need is in the middle. (~13.5mm for 20", 12.64mm for 19"--there is a cost/shipping advantage to use 12mm) I would run it as is, and not be too concerned about it. Miracles is a premier builder. (though problems can happen with anything)

geaux xman
09/22/2012, 11:52 AM
When I was shopping tanks 2 yrs ago, I saw that Miracles and LeeMar would build 48x30x20" rimless with 1/2" glass. I've seen Miracles put small triangle glass cuts at the top corner of the tanks on their "rimless". Maybe they are doing that..

Also, not sure if using a deeper sand would help. It might reduce the pressure on the glass as theres less water. There's a guy in the large reef section with a 400g rimless on 3/4" glass. His tank is 29.5" tall, but take out about 1.5" waterline and a sandbase of about 4-5", that brings the tank water pressure down to as if it was a 24" tank.

Still a little scary long term.

78*39*29.5"
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2063379

uncleof6
09/22/2012, 12:20 PM
When I was shopping tanks 2 yrs ago, I saw that Miracles and LeeMar would build 48x30x20" rimless with 1/2" glass. I've seen Miracles put small triangle glass cuts at the top corner of the tanks on their "rimless". Maybe they are doing that..

Also, not sure if using a deeper sand would help. It might reduce the pressure on the glass as theres less water. There's a guy in the large reef section with a 400g rimless on 3/4" glass. His tank is 29.5" tall, but take out about 1.5" waterline and a sandbase of about 4-5", that brings the tank water pressure down to as if it was a 24" tank.

Still a little scary long term.

78*39*29.5"
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2063379

Sand won't make any difference. Water pressure, is not based on volume, rather depth. The water depth will still be from the water level, to the bottom of the tank. The weight of the sand is also an issue, as well as rock, (etc.) along with the water for the bottom panel. :)

Bezzini
09/22/2012, 03:41 PM
Sand won't make any difference. Water pressure, is not based on volume, rather depth. The water depth will still be from the water level, to the bottom of the tank. The weight of the sand is also an issue, as well as rock, (etc.) along with the water for the bottom panel. :)

So I took a couple measurements, and this is what I found:
1) Water level from bottom of tank to just over the bottom of the weir will be 18", although I understand that the water level will probably be somewhere between this and 19".

2) The exterior bottom trim/brace is approx 1.5" tall, however, the majority (about 3/4" to 1") extends upwards past the bottom panel like any other exterior bracing.
With this 3/4" to 1" of blocked/unusable viewing area, I could essentially create and hide a false bottom to the tank with either glass (yes, it would be heavy!) or Starboard (or similar). As long as this area is sealed, the volume and total "height" of the water could be reduced by 3/4 - 1", putting us in the 17"(to bottom of weir)-to-18.25"(max) range of total water "height." Would it not?

Does this make sense?/Seem like a viable option to increase the safety of the tank?

Of course, the other options remain...
1)Top and bottom eurobracing
2)Lower the height of the overflow weir by an inch
3)Leave it be! (Possibly including some lost sleep lol)

uncleof6
09/22/2012, 04:10 PM
3)...

Bezzini
09/23/2012, 10:01 AM
3 it is!

Thanks for your help!