PDA

View Full Version : Best paint for background

Ryand63
09/22/2012, 06:47 AM
I read a lot of krylon responses. Is it ONLY krylon fusion? And do you literally just clean the glass and apply a few coats and let dry? Not other things needed?

downbeach
09/22/2012, 06:49 AM
That's all I ever did, but used denatured alcohol to clean it with.

tanzer16
09/22/2012, 07:11 AM
That's what I have seen a majority of people say they use as well........while others just say the cheapest flat spray paint you can find. I have to paint mine as well, so probably just go with the krylon if it works so well for so many

Ryand63
09/22/2012, 07:31 AM
I definitely will. Heading to Walmart today. Can I just use winded to clean the glass?

TheAquatect
09/22/2012, 07:37 AM
Ive used krylon, latex enamel (for a custom color) and even dark limo tint. All 3 work fine IMO and have pros and cons. Paint wise, nothing sticks to glass any better or worse, it's the external harness of the paint that helps it take the abuse in the long run. Limo tint is great if you want a black background and still use a magnetic glass cleaner, it takes the most abuse, but can be a pain to apply correctly.

Outrigger Reef
09/22/2012, 08:46 AM
I work for a sign company and just used black vinyl. Goes on great and if I ever want to remove it or change it from black to blue I can do that easily.

Orangeman1515
09/22/2012, 08:50 AM
I use acrylic paint from the craft stores, my 75 gal took two .60 cent bottles , and it is super easy to remove if u want to change colors in the future. they come in the little squeeze tube bottles and you can roll it on with a foam roller

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

Portsie
09/22/2012, 08:58 AM
I work for a sign company and just used black vinyl. Goes on great and if I ever want to remove it or change it from black to blue I can do that easily.

+1 for this. Easy to use the mag float, don't have to worry about scratching the paint. Easy to change if you want a new color.

tanzer16
09/22/2012, 09:07 AM
thats a great idea about the vinyl. i used to work in a sign place years ago, and that stuff would work great i would think

tanzer16
09/22/2012, 09:09 AM
i can't remember what solution you use to spray on surface to apply the vinyl.......can you just use water? seemed like it had some sort of mild soap in it

RDuhb
09/22/2012, 10:53 AM
I use acrylic paint from the craft stores, my 75 gal took two .60 cent bottles , and it is super easy to remove if u want to change colors in the future. they come in the little squeeze tube bottles and you can roll it on with a foam roller

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

I used an acrylic paint also. Got three 8oz bottles from walmart. Looks great!

Outrigger Reef
09/22/2012, 11:29 AM
i can't remember what solution you use to spray on surface to apply the vinyl.......can you just use water? seemed like it had some sort of mild soap in it

I like to use a 50/50 of water and alcohol. Soap takes to long to evaporate.

Fish doctor
09/22/2012, 12:11 PM
Yes I use acrylic paint as well,with no problems .It is easy to remove should you change your mind.

Portsie
09/22/2012, 12:11 PM

I put mine on dry, no liquid. It had a sticky back and the guy at the sign shop said no liquid was necessary.