PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Shrimp cubes

rockytop47
09/22/2012, 11:53 AM
Here's a cool trick I figured out when I got tired of cutting up shrimp for my tank. Using the leftover egg crate I had laying around, I cut up all my table shrimp into bite size pieces and put it into a 3"x3" piece of egg crate pressing it all into the little 'cubes' Put this on a piece of wax paper and throw it in the freezer! after it's all frozen good and solid, take it out of the freezer and let stand for 5-10 minutes and the cubes will pop right out. You can then cut it to size, thaw it in ro/di and presto! Shrimp cubes.

Gorgok
09/22/2012, 02:37 PM
I make my food mix up in the blender and when i go to freeze the batch i put a piece of eggcrate in a gallon ziplock bag and roll/flatten the paste into the cubes. Feeding time i just pop out a perfect little cube with my thumb (make sure you press the right way, eggcrate is tapered) and thaw. I don't take the whole screen out, just press through the bag and then jiggle the cube out.

rockytop47
09/22/2012, 06:35 PM
I know right? Having cubes is a lot easier for me than trying to cut pieces off a chunk of frozen whatever(a block of krill comes to mind) plus there's virtually no waste. I can cut off what I need and throw the rest back in the ziploc.