PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound right? RO unit water question

ReeferKimberly
09/22/2012, 09:47 PM
I always thought my RO unit had a waste water line. Then I tested it. It came out at 0 with my 'clean' water at 1. I tested the 'waste' water and 'clean' water at two different places with two different meters. The waste came out at zero each time and the clean at 1. But the waste has a taste where the 'clean' water does not.

I'd like to use this 'waste' water with a TDS of 0....but why the taste?

I am thinking possibly I never had a 'waste water' line. I have read some units you can take the water before it's passed through the resin, and maybe that's what that line actually is. I don't have a resin filter on there right now because I cannot find one (unit is barely used, but purchased 9 years ago, but has all new filters), so the last thing the 'clean' water passes through is just a fridge filter I found that fit on there instead. It seems like it is taking away the taste, but adding 1ppm of TDS.

Would you use water if it tasted weird BUT had a TDS of 0?

Michigan Mike
09/23/2012, 05:53 AM
It depends di water has a bad taste but when my drinking water filter starts to get a bad taste( Brita style ) it's usually over 006 tds and time to change out the filter.