PDA

View Full Version : Vodka Dosing Emergency

Wolfmann81
09/23/2012, 12:20 PM
Okay guys - trying to prevent a catastrophe here and need some feedback.

I have a 180G DT, and used to vodka dose on a daily basis for about 2 years (I definitely believe in it). I stopped doing it approximately 4 months ago, no good reason why (laziness probably).

I did it 'right' the first time - started very slow with small doses daily - building up to 14mL/day of Vodka.

Two days ago, I was impatient and jumped straight to 14mL, and did this 2 days in a row. Yesterday, I noticed that my protein skimmer was going crazy (duh), and had to empty it 2x. There was also a massive amount of 'foam' everywhere in the sump (very odd - never seen that before in 8+ years). I even tried to lower my riser-tube all the way DOWN to limit the internal/skimmer foam production - but still to no avail (still producing like crazy).

This morning I woke up.... All of my fish are extraordinarily stressed (lying on the bottom or on a rock, breathing very hard). OH NO. I looked all over for any dead animals, but can't see any (about 90% sure that there is no dead animals). I did a 45G (22%) water change this morning, trying to prevent disaster. My ammonia is 0 (thank goodness), nitrates 10ppm (not good, not terrible), normal pH.

Did my vodka dosing do this?? Seems odd that a total of 28mL of vodka in 2 days could do this to a 200G TWV system. Do I do another big (20%) water change in the same day? I think that might be excessive - but I feel compelled to do SOMETHING. I have several show-size tangs that I have had for years - and I am going to go crazy if I can't do my best to save them.

Please help!

Mekanic
09/23/2012, 01:29 PM
could have caused a large bloom which depleated oxygen.

IMO you would be fine doing another 20%wc, I've done 60% in my tank wih no ill effects (other than white coraline)

Wolfmann81
09/23/2012, 02:55 PM
Mekanic - thanks for the reply; make sense.

Would this be consistent if all of my SPS corals appear to be somewhat unchanged? My LPS and softies appear to be under stress - but my sps varieties and 2 montiporas have polyps and appear to be behaving normally.

I am going to do another large water change (20%+) today. It appears I have lost my butterfly, but others appear to be recovering. Two of my large tangs (chocolate and sailfin) were hiding under rocks under significant stress at the lights came on this morning (I thought I was going to have multiple deaths) - but now these fish are swimming around (although laboring) around (at least free-swimming, versus leaning on rocks at the bottom of the tank). Hopefully I can stave off further disaster with an additional water change.

Haven't had a fish die in well over a year - this sucks...

Any additional help/thoughts/good-opinions certainly appreciated. Thanks,

spollock818
09/23/2012, 02:59 PM
Mix up fresh water. Match temp salinity and ph in a new emergency tank and get them into it. I over doses peroxide and did this she. Ny fish were sideways on the sand. It saved them

bertoni
09/23/2012, 06:39 PM
The ammonia is zero, which is good. I'd probably focus on keep the aeration up. A bunch of fresh carbon might be useful, in case there are any toxins involved. Setting up a separate tank might help, or might hurt. If the animals are recovering, I probably wouldn't do that.

Wolfmann81
09/23/2012, 07:42 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts today. In the end - it appears I only lost my Kleini Butterflyfish (a friendly, ravenous anti-aiptasia dude who cleared 300+ aiptasia 1.5 years ago and continued to keep it away - he will be missed!) The tank is still stressed - but I have done every test I could realistically think of (that I own) and everything appears to be in reasonable order. Bertoni - I did change my carbon this morning during my water change, to further try and rid any organics that might be harming the system. I am mixing up another 45G for a water change tomorow (couldn't get it mixed in time for a water change double-day).

My large volitan is still showing stress, as is my sailfin & chocolate tangs. The others appear to be acting reasonably normal, although not 100% clearly. Hoping I have done enough to prevent further problems...

Rule of thumb: just because you have vodka dosed successfully in the past - don't go back to your old 'high' dose if you have taken a significant period off. Your tank will be unhappy (and will let you know about it!). Paid an unfortunate price today, but could have been much much (much much much!!!) worse...

bertoni
09/23/2012, 08:20 PM
Well, I'm sorry to hear about your butterflyfish, but the recovery seems to be underway. That's good news! :)

Wolfmann81
09/24/2012, 07:57 AM
Well, I lost my beautiful 10" lionfish late last night. My daughters favorite fish.

What a damn mistake I made... The rest appear to be in good condition.

Mekanic
09/24/2012, 08:17 PM
really sorry to hear about your losses :(

bertoni
09/24/2012, 10:02 PM
Well, I'm sorry about the lionfish. :(