PDA

View Full Version : Full overflow tank

MikeYQM
09/23/2012, 06:29 PM
In my never ending quest for the ultimate upgrade, I'm wondering if anyone has considered, attempted, failed or succeeded at a rimless overflow tank?

I'm picturing a 4'x4' rimless aquarium where the water overflows over all 4 sides of glass into a catch channel then routed into the sump. I'd imagine salt creep could be one issue, perfect leveling and smell could be others.

Any thoughts!

sirreal63
09/23/2012, 06:50 PM
Zeroedgeaquarium.com

MikeYQM
09/23/2012, 07:19 PM
That's exactly the idea! Anyone have experience?

sirreal63
09/23/2012, 07:22 PM
I run one, great little overflow, no real complaints, it wasn't as quiet as I wanted in stock form but I corrected that. Most people do not find them loud but I like a silent tank so I did have to help it a little.

MikeYQM
09/23/2012, 07:34 PM
How big is yours?

Do you run powerheads in it? Can you easily plumb it to a basement sump?

sirreal63
09/23/2012, 07:43 PM
Sorry, no, got this thread mixed with another one, screen too small. I have seen them and can tell you they are cool for a top look down tank for clams but trying to run too much flow in them causes distortions in the view. They do not make a very effective sps tank, but clams and softies that do not need a lot of flow they are cool with. Perfect leveling is a requirement and generally they are a pain to keep clean. One of my good friends who owns a lfs had one, he hated it.

Dexters Reef
09/23/2012, 10:54 PM
My LFS has a large one, 6-8' long. They use it for softies, lps, and leathers. There are also some fish mixed throughout, but no SPS. They said their maintenance isnt too bad because they dont have intense lighting over it to promote algae