PDA

View Full Version : in which order should i stock my reef tank?

Txboi
09/24/2012, 10:05 AM
Hi all I was woundering in which order should I stock my tank? I want to have mostly sps corals and fish. I've heard that you should add your clean up crew first then fish then coral? Is this the right order to do it?

Reefmedic79
09/24/2012, 10:12 AM
Thats the way to do it, but with the fish You will mostly want to add the more aggressive fish last. Researching your fish selections and many of us on RC can help you with the fish order.

and
[WELCOME]

Zappo
09/24/2012, 12:26 PM
As Reefmedic79 said, most peaceful to most aggressive is the way to go with fish. As for the cleanup crew, unless you absolutely have to order it online, I'd suggest adding to it in small increments. Web sites that sell snails/crabs/etc will tell you to add like 100 of them to a brand new tank and sell them in large packages. Most of those will likely starve, though, and adding a couple snails at a time as needed seems to work better.

Txboi
09/24/2012, 12:55 PM
zappo is there any order that you would do the clean up crew? Im not going to do hermit crabs because I heard they can attack and kill your snails and it the good stuff in your sand bed

brchapm
09/24/2012, 01:36 PM
From my experience, hermit crabs are a PITA. Not sure if they are worth the effort.

Also, slow is always the best bet. Personally, it it was me, I would let my live rock cycle for a while before adding anything. Then a few snails, and monitor your water params slowing adding your other CUC and fish.

CarlitosReef
09/24/2012, 01:39 PM
Is this a new system?? If yes just keep in mind you are not ready for sps until you have a very stable numbers.

Sent from my private Jet.

Txboi
09/24/2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys i haven't even setup my system yet I'm still buying the equement im just trying to learn as much as possible I kinda fingered that it would take awhile but that's ok I'm willing to wait I just think sps corals are the neatest and best looking of the three types of corals

brchapm
09/25/2012, 06:37 AM
A couple words of advice I have heard that have stuck with me:

1) nothing good ever happens fast with this hobby
2) dilution is the solution to pollution