PDA

View Full Version : 90 gallon Blue Tang

DopeCantWin
09/25/2012, 06:48 PM
I'm trying to decide whether to add a Hippo Tang to my 90. The current occupants are

Firefish
Candy Basslet(hides all the time, almost like I don't have it)
Lawnmower Blenny
2xClowns
2xMandarins

The Blue Tang would be my last fish, and is really the only fish I'd consider getting at this point. Tank has been up for maybe 3 years. I use to have a Blue Tang I got as a baby, sold him when he passed 5". So I'm thinking about doing it over again, getting a very tiny one, a place nearby has some very small babies, and raising before selling or giving it away. The tank is an SPS tank, so good waterflow, very consistent parameters, no nutrients.

Thoughts?

Ambition
09/25/2012, 07:03 PM
Don't add a blue tang to your tank. To me, it doesn't make any sense to get a fish that you know you will have to sell/rehome as it grows. If it is the only fish you would consider, then stick with your current stock. IMO, it is best to only get fish that will be able to thrive in the tank you have without upgrades or rehoming.

DopeCantWin
09/25/2012, 07:06 PM
Don't add a blue tang to your tank. To me, it doesn't make any sense to get a fish that you know you will have to sell/rehome as it grows. If it is the only fish you would consider, then stick with your current stock. IMO, it is best to only get fish that will be able to thrive in the tank you have without upgrades or rehoming.

I like your sig. You don't think it would be a good environment for it with the only other swimmer being a firefish?

DopeCantWin
09/25/2012, 07:08 PM
The only other fish I've considered is a baby Yellow Eye Kole, but I'm afraid he'd be aggressive with the Blenny.

DopeCantWin
09/25/2012, 07:25 PM
I do have an MP60 which could create huge waves in my 90, and I read Achilles Tang like surging water...

Ambition
09/25/2012, 07:31 PM
I like your sig. You don't think it would be a good environment for it with the only other swimmer being a firefish?

Thanks.

I don't think a 90 is anywhere near suitable for a blue tang. I agree with RC's recommendation on tank size: 8ft, 240 gallon aquarium.

The only other fish I've considered is a baby Yellow Eye Kole, but I'm afraid he'd be aggressive with the Blenny.

A kole would be suitable for its entire life in your tank. However, I cannot tell you whether you would have aggression problems with the blenny and kole or not.

I do have an MP60 which could create huge waves in my 90, and I read Achilles Tang like surging water...

Achilles, as do most tangs, love flow. They do need the 6'x2' footprint of a 180 plus all the flow to thrive IMO. Bigger tank, and more flow being even better.

DopeCantWin
09/25/2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks.

I don't think a 90 is anywhere near suitable for a blue tang. I agree with RC's recommendation on tank size: 8ft, 240 gallon aquarium.

A kole would be suitable for its entire life in your tank. However, I cannot tell you whether you would have aggression problems with the blenny and kole or not.

Achilles, as do most tangs, love flow. They do need the 6'x2' footprint of a 180 plus all the flow to thrive IMO. Bigger tank, and more flow being even better.

I thought reefcentral's recommendation for a Blue Tang was 100?

DopeCantWin
09/25/2012, 08:06 PM
Found what you meant, there was an earlier recommendation for 100.

DopeCantWin
09/25/2012, 08:12 PM
I'm going to pass on both the Achiles and the Blue based on what you said. I'll still consider the Kole.

betamed
09/25/2012, 09:06 PM
kole is a great choice.

reeferstace
09/26/2012, 06:25 AM
Any of the Ctenocheatus tangs would be suitable for your tank. Koles are good choices also because they tend to stay on the smaller side.

Good luck with your tank.

sponger0
09/26/2012, 10:50 AM
No blue tang is also my vote.

For a 90 gallon, your best bets would be any bristle tooth tang, chevron, kole, or yellow tang (even though yellows are known to get a bit aggressive), mimic or tomini tang.

sponger0
09/26/2012, 10:53 AM
I thought reefcentral's recommendation for a Blue Tang was 100?

Where in the world did you see this? RC's recommendation is 240

larac
09/26/2012, 03:24 PM
Where in the world did you see this? RC's recommendation is 240

Probably by reading through searched posts. The current recommendation was put up in Dec 2010. Prior to that it was considerably less. I remember even LA had something like 75G+ on their site once. We live and learn. :o

DopeCantWin
09/26/2012, 03:26 PM
Probably by reading through searched posts. The current recommendation was put up in Dec 2010. Prior to that it was considerably less. I remember even LA had something like 75G+ on their site once. We live and learn. :o

Yes, it was a list of maybe 20 or so tangs on this site. I tried for a bit to find it, but couldn't. If I see it again, I'll post it here. It had the usual disclaimer that this list was compiled by people's experience. If the new size is 240, then that's what it is. I won't get it.

rssjsb
09/26/2012, 08:59 PM
The only other fish I've considered is a baby Yellow Eye Kole, but I'm afraid he'd be aggressive with the Blenny.Unfortunately, this is a concern. I've seen them harass starry blennies before and I would not be surprised to see the same thing happen with a lawnmower, which is also a competitor for alga.

DopeCantWin
09/30/2012, 02:20 PM
I've added a 2-3" yellow eye. He's a world of ****ed off, which I don't understand. My tank params are

8.2-8.5 pH
81.7-82.3 temp(trying warmer for sps)
1.025 specific gravity
.5 Nitrates
0 Phosphates

water is oxygenated through an oversized skimmer bringing oxygen from the outside. It's only been a day though, in about 2 weeks he'll be sent on his way if he continues this.

reeferstace
09/30/2012, 03:34 PM
Did you not QT him?

DopeCantWin
09/30/2012, 03:37 PM
Did you not QT him?

I'm dumb like that.

Microcosmos
09/30/2012, 03:49 PM
Can you post a pic?

DopeCantWin
09/30/2012, 04:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/HY1i3l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8jZiTl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dQ6evl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/abk7Il.jpg

I don't see any white spots. He has a small part of his tail taken out, will probably grow it back.