PDA

View Full Version : Po4 levels in Ca Reactor Effluent

SPotter
09/25/2012, 08:19 PM
I tested my effluent for po4 tonight and its coming out around .10 on the hanna ulr phosphorous meter. Has anyone experienced this and what have you done to eliminate this problem? I know the obvious answer is to clean the sediment out of the reactor but are there any other methods people have used in the past?

bertoni
09/25/2012, 08:32 PM
The phosphate might be in the media itself, rather than originating in debris. All live rock will have some phosphate in it. I don't think that amount of phosphate will be significant, given the volume of the reactor effluent compared to that of the tank, and I'd ignore it, personally. What's the phosphate level of the tank?

SPotter
09/26/2012, 04:39 AM
my tank is at .11 right now. I use a turf scrubber and while I get great growth its not keeping up. I also have an atb 10.5 skimmer and that pulls an amazing amount of gunk out. I do 15% weekly water changes. I was able to get it down to .03 recently by dripping LaCl3 with a dosing pump into a 10 micron filter sock at the end of a drain line but with in a few days it goes right back up. I have a little gha in my frag tank but I don't have much of a cuc in there. Maybe Im getting some leaching from the pukani rock. I cured it for amost two months. just cant think of anything else. :confused:

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

JPerkins2
09/26/2012, 06:10 AM
Get some GFO and it will clear it right up. Calcium reactors do leach phosphate but it should be in the same ratio as the corals use it.

bertoni
09/26/2012, 07:26 PM
I'm guessing that the rock is more likely to be the source of the phosphate than the reactor. GFO should be able to help, but lanthanum chloride might be cheaper. You might have to keep up the dosing for months, though, if the rocks are the problem. The other likely source is feeding.

SPotter
09/27/2012, 04:55 AM
Im leaning towards the rocks as Im only feeding 2 cubes and a pinch of pellets a day and a sheet of nori every other day for 15 fish.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

bertoni
09/27/2012, 06:25 PM
I agree that two cubes a day (for most cubes I've seen) doesn't seem all that much for a 315g tank, but it might be an issue. The number of fish doesn't matter as far as filtration, because most of what goes into the fish comes back out. :)