PDA

View Full Version : RO woes

johanasu
09/26/2012, 01:37 PM
I have had a reef tank for about 14+ months and I have always used my home RO system for top off and saltwater. Over time I came to understand that this was probably part of my GHA problems and decided to investigate and find a solution.

I ordered an HM TDS meter and started with initial readings:
Tap Water 550-650ppm
RO Water 70-110ppm
This was above 80% efficiency which is fine for drinking water but clearly far too high for my tank.

So I started getting DI or DI saltwater from a LFS and looked into solutions for my home setup.

I ordered a DI add-on from filterguys which came promptly but some of my tubing was 3/8" instead of 1/4" so I had to go to home depot and get some converter quick connect fittings. I have everything I need but decided not to hook up the DI until my RO TDS was down.

Went to lowes and got a generic RO membrane, replaced my Watts WP-4V membrane with it and I got pure tap out of the RO system. Realized that the Watts systems are like the only ones on earth with a reverse placement on their brine seals.

I checked with sales at a few membrane outlets and was told the filmtecs should work. Ordered one (36gpd just like the original so no need for new flow restrictor) put it in and still no bones.

Did some more research and someone suggested swapping the brine seal end. So I removed the white tape and moved the brine seal to the other end of the membrane. Re-wrapped with the tape and installed. After installing and letting the system run for a bit I was getting
TAP: 650 TDS
RO: 40 TDS

Hurray over 90% efficiency, moving in the right direction. That was last night.
This morning my TDS is sitting about 640 TAP and 300 RO. :(

I'm going to check the brine seal again, any other ideas out there?
Thanks!

Buckeye Hydro
09/30/2012, 06:38 AM
Are you measuring TDS creep water?

You can get a replacement RO membrane housing for $10, and leave your brine seal right where it should be. I know some Watts systems use non-standard membranes.

Russ

fourzero
09/30/2012, 06:08 PM
The WP4V has a manifold setup, you can't swap the membrane housing.