PDA

View Full Version : Would an Aquareef 200 make a good QT?

Pmac2272
09/26/2012, 08:49 PM
Hi
I am in the process of setting up my first marine tank. I am getting a 350L (approx 93 gallons) - 4ft DT (with sump) and wanted to do everything properly so I also wanted to set up a QT. I am aiming to have fish, soft corals and eventually some hard corals too.

I am wondering if an Aquareef 200 would make a good QT? - I know all the filtration is in the top. I am completely new to the marine world (have had cichlids for about 15 years).

I can buy a used aquareef 200 off a friend - this is all I know about it:
Aquarium Tank Overall Dimensions: 820 W x 1460 H x 520 D (mm)
Glass Thickness: 10 mm
Return Pump Flow Rate: 2500 L/hr
Operating Aquarium Volume: 180 L
Light Wattage: 2 x 24W T5, 1 x 20 W, 1x 15W T8

If you don't think this is suitable could you suggest a suitable alternative... Many thanks for your help in advance.

atkinsg
09/27/2012, 01:09 AM
QT tanks are generally a bare bones type of setup. I use a 20 gal tall, an HOB filter, and a few pieces of PVC for fish to hide in. For lighting, if I have fish in QT, I use the cheap 15w fluorescent tube fixture that came with the tank. I also have 150w MH fixture that I use for coral QT.

You don't have to keep it up and running at all times either. Just keep some sponge filters in your sump for a ready biological filter and fill the QT with water from your display tank. While in use, test the QT for NH3, NO2, and NO3 and do water changes as necessary.