PDA

View Full Version : One blue chromis, safe to add more?

HHIreefer843
09/27/2012, 06:58 PM
Hey y'all
I currently have one blue chromis in my tank. He's been in there a little over a year. He was never introduce with any other chromis he's been the only one thus whole time.

So the question is can I add anymore or will they all pick each other off? I'd like to have 5or 6....any thoughts?

sail33
09/27/2012, 07:18 PM
I'm just tossing my almost related experience. I have two green chromis added together. They got along great. Hung out together. One would even go and get the other if he was missing.

I haven't found them to be aggressive towards each other or other fish. Now maroon Clown will often chase the chromis all over the tank . it may take the chromis a little while to find and trust each other b ut I'd get another.

larac
09/28/2012, 12:31 AM
I think if you do a search you will find out that the majority of people report that one Chromis ends up killing off the others. I would be especially hesitant since you already have one established. You may get lucky. I don't see your tank size but larger systems sometimes have better luck.

Drew707
09/28/2012, 12:34 AM
Never seen a killer chromi myself :/ ..I say u would be fine

Jmnazari
09/28/2012, 01:34 AM
I've had one chromis for a year, I decided to buy it 2 friends of the same size and they both were killed within days :( you might be able to put it with a few new ones in a quarantine tank for a bit, so that way your chromis or the new ones can't really claim territory first.

HHIreefer843
09/28/2012, 04:50 AM
I've had one chromis for a year, I decided to buy it 2 friends of the same size and they both were killed within days :( you might be able to put it with a few new ones in a quarantine tank for a bit, so that way your chromis or the new ones can't really claim territory first.

This is what i was thinking....i might give it a shot. Im going to seed some filter pads for my aqua clear for a few weeks and set back up my QT....

Roadki11
09/28/2012, 04:00 PM
I started with 3 young ones, and within a week I was down to one. And from what I've heard this isn't uncommon.

snorvich
09/28/2012, 04:30 PM
The odds are against it working long term.

Wolverine
09/28/2012, 07:34 PM
The odds are against it working long term.

I agree with Steve. My bet would be on you ending up with one.