PDA

View Full Version : NEW - Innovative Marine AuqaGadget SkimMate Protein Skimmers

AquaCave
09/28/2012, 12:05 PM
Innovative Marine AuqaGadget SkimMate Protein Skimmers

Supercharge your NUVO with the efficient SkimMate needle-wheel foam fractionator, which effectively removes dissolved organics, increases oxygen levels, and creates a cleaner & clearer aquarium. Innovative internal design discreetly hides behind filter wall to remain out of sight of main viewing area. Made of quality cell-cast acrylic and offered with either top or clamp mount skimmer bracket which houses integrated silencer for finger-tip adjustment. Utilizes a needle-wheel impeller that disburses micro bubbles to extract harmful toxins and removes phosphates that cause undesirable nuisance algae.

FEATURES:

Offered in two convenient Models

Desktop – rated to 25 gallons
Midsize – rated to 65 gallons

Needle Wheel-Impeller creates dense dark SkimMate
Energy efficient 6.5 watt power consumption
Solid cell-cast acrylic construction
Easy turn knob for height adjustment
Noise reducing silencer with air adjustment valve
Water Outlet level control ( Mid-Size Model Only)
Small compact form factor (Designed for Nano16, Micro30, Mini38)
High performance in Small Footprint
Large volume collection cup with O-Ring
Top or Clamp Mount acrylic bracket for secure placement
Two Sizes Available:

Specifications:
* Model: Desktop
* Tank Size (up to): 25 gal.
* Compatible with IM Tank: Nano16
* SkimMate Dims with Bracket (L) x (W) x (H): 3.75" x 2.60" x 13.05"
* Pump Power: 110-120V/ 60Hz
* Pump Watts: 6.5W
* Pump Flow Rate: 158 gph

Specifications:
* Model: MidSize
* Tank Size (up to): 65 gal.
* Compatible with IM Tank: Micro30 / Mini38
* SkimMate Dims with Bracket (L) x (W) x (H): 3.75" x 3.25" x 15.79"
* Pump Power: 110-120V/ 60Hz
* Pump Watts: 6.5W
* Pump Flow Rate: 158 gph

More... (http://aquacave.blogspot.com/2012/09/new-innovative-marine-auqagadget_28.html)

joeabreu
10/03/2012, 07:56 PM
I've had no luck in finding a support line or email address on your website, so I'm glad to have found your post here on the forum. I'm having trouble with the fitment of the desktop (7201) model in my Nuvo 16. I have tried placing it in the chamber left of the center, following the instructions in the manual to the letter. The pump will just barely fit and only in one orientation, but the intake is touching one of the walls, almost flush with the glass. When I try to install it with the cylinder mounted, the water outlet control pipe is jammed against the corner so tight that it forces the entire skimmer to tilt by 5+ degrees. It's almost as though the outlet pipe is too large for the application. I also noticed that when I place the skimmer in the column with the pump mounted, that the pump is actually not resting on the bottom of the column - seems like if the cylinder was longer, the pump would reach the gapped area at the bottom of the chamber and have room to fit easily without touching any walls.

Right now, I have skimmer propped up about 1/2" out of the tank in order to keep it from overflowing because I can't adjust the cylinder height any further using the top mount bracket past the tip of the water outlet flow control pipe - which collides with the mount. It's like the outlet pipe is too long or the cylinder isn't long enough. Can you please provide some assistance?

Thanks,

Joe

joeabreu
10/07/2012, 08:58 PM
I sent an email to the [email protected] address shown on their site and received a phone call form Manny the next morning. I followed up with a few pictures of the skimmer in my tank, and Manny determined that the outflow tube that had been installed on my desktop unit was too long and likely was meant for the larger version. He sent me a replacement that afternoon. In the meantime, he suggested that I cut down the tube that was on my skimmer and see if that worked. I trimmed off about an inch and reinstalled the unit - seems to have done the trick! I can now raise the skimmer in the column so that the water level isn't constantly overflowing the collection cup, and I'm able to trim and adjust the skimmer effectively using the airflow control. It is still a snug fit, and Manny told me the outflow pipe will definitely be jammed into the corner of the column with the pump against the walls of the chamber, but there has been a definite improvement in the fit in my Nuvo 16 tank.

Once I had the outflow pipe trimmed and the skimmer reinstalled, I found that the skimmer height adjustment knob on the support ring was also preventing the skimmer from sitting completely vertical as it was being pressed against the left dam in the column - I trimmed a few threads off the end of the adjustment screw and now the screw head sits flush against the support ring allowing the mount to slide to the left a little more and straightening the skimmer a few degrees - this helps quite a bit, but ideally, the adjustment screw would be on the other side of the ring.

Cudos to Manny for his support! He made several calls and followed up on everything quickly and efficiently with a friendly and helpful attitude!

chewdoggie
11/24/2012, 04:52 PM
Glad I found this thread. Have had nothing but problems since installing this 30 days ago...thought it might just be the breakin period issue. But same ill-fitting outlet pipe which doesn't allow the unit to seat properly or be adjusted...thus overflow issue. Now the new problem is that after emptying the collection cup about five times the o-ring the keeps it tightly seated to the tube has worn/compressed...thus the seal is not as tight and woke up this morning to a puddle of water under tank. Troubleshooted it to find that the water is creeping past the o-ring and seeping out the top. In that troubleshooting process I have found that the top of the tube was cut rough enough that there are two small gouges where the water seeped out do to this poor seal. Went back to the store to look at two brand new skimmers and similar poor cutting on the cylinder head. In my opinion this unit is too tight to fit in the chamber and the acrylic tube should have been finished properly.

As far as the Nuvo 16 itself. Its a nano tank...and if you put true nano fish in it then you will find them in the back filter all day long. The slots are too wide. Next complaint would be the lid...have lost four yashi gobies with the lid on because of the gap all around the edge of the lid. Now everything is covered with towels, clear tubing and other things to keep the fish in the tank. It is ugly and stupid. I can't really recommend this tank until these issues are resolved...if you are trying to keep true nano fish. Two clowns in there might be too fat and may survive.

Guess I need to make a call... Not happy with this tank. Lighting is only sufficient for soft coral or NPS.