PDA

View Full Version : Question about new lighting

Bdial
09/28/2012, 03:57 PM
I'm thinking about changing my lighting on my reef. I have a 110 xh 48x18x30 and right now I'm running 4 kessil a150s and I like them and most of my corals appear to be happy and growing. But I'm wanting something more controllable. These things are on or off. I've been looking at the maxspect r420r. The models look sweet and have 120 watt of lights. I know obviously I would need two units. What other light would be suitable for these dimensions. I would like for my brains to still be able to grow on the bottom of the tank. Would the razors work for this? Would the radions work? What would be the best choice? Does anyone run the razors here? If I buy those are they straight out of the box or do I need to buy a power module or controller for it?

Postal
09/28/2012, 04:20 PM
I just got the 160w (27") r420r last week. It comes with everything you need in the box (Stand mount and hanging kit). The controller is built in to each light. I don't know how they would do on a 30" deep tank (I have mine over a 40 breeder) but they do pack some punch. Radions would give you more light penetration I would expect but they will be double the cost.

Bdial
09/28/2012, 05:03 PM
The radions are a bit more but if they would be worth ill look into it. I was also thinking about an AI or something.