PDA

View Full Version : prop tub leaching somethig bad??

rtbm
09/28/2012, 07:16 PM
About a year ago I set up a couple prop systems. One of which I used one of These (http://www.horticulturesource.com/product_info.php?products_id=2467) for.

Over the past year I have had quirky issues with some sps and have just always had the notion in the back of my head that it may have something to do with the plastic.

I contacted botanicare to ask about them and was told that they were basically made from recycled plastic but did not have any sort of mold inhibitor or anything like that in them.

While my issues continued i began crossing a lot of potential culprits off the list.

Over the course I have noticed that the issues seem to be isolated to the tank with the botanicare tub. I had another one unused I decided to plumb it into a different system. I am now it seems starting to see similarities among same corals in each of the systems. I have gone as far as to take seemingly affected pieces out and put them in another non tub system and watch them begin to recover within two weeks.

Now the majority of my sps look great. Completely unaffected. But the ones that aren't happy look off for sure. And the symptoms seem consistent in the two systems using the tubs.

My question is, could there be something leaching from the plastic tubs that is causing my problems. I am not convinced they are the problem but I would sure like to rule it out if not. Like I said it's just been one of those thing I have been wondering about for a while now

I would like to call the botanicare guy back but I am wondering if there is anything more specific I could ask him about.

Any help or input would be greatly apprieciated.

bertoni
09/28/2012, 09:38 PM
Given that those containers are intended for food production, I would have guess that they would be safe. I don't know what would make them a problem, but there might have been some contamination at some point in the manufacturing and recycling process.

rtbm
09/30/2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the response. That was my feeling as well about the food grade plastic. I just have wondered if there was something else in there.

I had also considered my band saw. It was about the same time that I got the saw that I stared to see the issues. Whenever I cut stuff there is always a lot of metal looking powder on the rocks and coral. Could small bits of this powder getting into the water
be causing some of the issues?

I'd be happy to go into more specific detail about what certain corals are actually doing if it helps.

Thanks again,

bertoni
09/30/2012, 09:37 PM
I don't know how much metal would get into the tank from the band saw. Certainly, I would keep a whole blade out of the tank. :) I suppose wood dust could be an issue, too. I'm not sure what you're cutting.

rtbm
10/01/2012, 05:48 AM
It's a diamond blade inland band saw "made" for coral fragging. Just another thing I have wondered.

You know when your tank has you scratching your head you can come up with some strange ideas as to what could possibly be the reason:confused:.

I think I'll call botanicare again today and have a good chat with them. Maybe I can find out a little more about the process they use.

Thanks again for the response.

bertoni
10/01/2012, 01:45 PM
You're welcome! I hope your corals get better!

Marcoss
06/08/2015, 06:57 PM
What did you finding out?