PDA

View Full Version : live rock question???

batman7303
09/29/2012, 12:17 AM
I am in the process of breaking down my 75 gal and rebuilding it, due to the allege I have been fighting for the past 6 to 7 month. I am replacing the sand and cleaning all the equipment. What is the best way to clean live rock or can you? I have several rocks that have green allege on them. I also have a piece of rock that has some green star ploys on it that I want to keep. I don’t want to get the new system back up and running and three months from now I am fighting allege that was on the rock. Thanks in advance.

hollister
09/29/2012, 12:26 AM
If you havent started the break down i would not do that. I see the same problem all over again and all is not lost. You will see the algea fall back if you fix the problem. But with very little in tank specs makes it hard.
Tank size , amount of LR and LS and equipment used with water readings.

All6Fish
09/29/2012, 06:47 AM
I agree...more info. If push comes to shove you can give the LR a salt bath and scrub them. We have two tanks and one has a hair algea issue but we are trying different methods not going to dismantle the tank though

Denbf58
09/29/2012, 07:01 AM
+ 1 taking down the tank is not the answer finding way you have the algae is are you over feeding are your bulbs old,areyou using ro/di water, what size and how offen are you doing water changes is your tank over stocked we need more information to help find what is being done wrong

batman7303
09/29/2012, 11:11 PM
The main reason I am thinking about breaking down the tank is because the tank I have right now is a drilled the back tank and I want to get a reef ready tank ( a tank with an overflow ) The tank was giving to me for free because my 55 I had taken to the LFS to have drilled shattered when he started to drill same. The sand was moved from the 55 to the 75 without being cleaned. I’m still kind of new to salt water stuff. I think there is about 60 lb of sand and 6 pieces of rock guessing about 20 lbs. I do top off with RO/DI. Builds are about 8 months but have not really been used due to the allege. As far as stock I only have three clown fish and two turbo snails.

fishbutt2
09/30/2012, 08:26 AM
Even in the new tank the same rules apply. The algae is getting food somewhere. Light, unfiltered water, tank filtration. Any problem with the equipment with algae in it?