PDA

View Full Version : Recent bloom driving me insane

mrt24
09/29/2012, 09:53 AM
I have had this 75gal reef tank for a few years now and about a month ago I started getting this long green and short brown algea crap salad in my tank. I thought it would go away but it hasnt. Added phosphate remover a week ago and it hasnt done much yet. I have loads of snails, hermits, and emeralds and they cant keep up. Tangs pick at it a little but they cant keep up. I have another 20 gal reef tank that I use the same water source for changes and there are no issues there. Fish SPS, LPS, and Soft corals are all doing fine. Water is clean, its just ugly and making me very angry. If anyone can tell me how to get rid of this quickly that would be fantastic.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b630/mtardiff1/photo_zpsbe026cfe.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b630/mtardiff1/photo3_zpsd217b2f8.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b630/mtardiff1/photo2_zps6b11e13e.jpg

Timfish
09/29/2012, 10:16 AM
I don't know of any quick way to get rid of this. I would first remove the rock that has the algae on it and use a small brush or toothbrush to scrub the algae off the rock in a bucket of aquarium water. Don't worry about getting all of it the first time. This process most likely will need to be repeated every week or every other week 2, 3 or 4 times. (I wait 2 weeks to see how fast it's growing back.) Concurrently I would be doing weekly 10% to 20% weekly water changes and using Boyd's chemipure or a combination of carbon and phosphate remover. I would also add Royal and/or Tuxedo urchins. The peices of rock that do not have any thing special like coralline. sponges, tunicates, corals etc. I would probably dry out and clean well before reusing.

tony11387
09/29/2012, 10:19 AM
Phosphate removers take time. Be patient with it since it is probably the best approach. Test your water often for the next few weeks while replenishing your GFO often because it will get used up pretty quickly. I would also recommend that you test your water source. If its okay then do multiple water changes often while manually removing as much as you can. A filter sock would be a great addition if you don't already have one.

Steve175
09/29/2012, 10:39 AM
Phosphate removers take time. Be patient with it since it is probably the best approach. Test your water often for the next few weeks while replenishing your GFO often because it will get used up pretty quickly. I would also recommend that you test your water source. If its okay then do multiple water changes often while manually removing as much as you can. A filter sock would be a great addition if you don't already have one.

also: halve your feedings and consider a skimmer upgrade

swcc
09/29/2012, 10:39 AM
you would be better served cleaning your tank up...nutrients cause algae...so your loaded with nutrients...the rocks are probably all clogged up and the sand bed too...
GFO reduces Phosphate... in the water...it does not fix the source at all.

Microcosmos
09/29/2012, 06:10 PM
My vote: get an urchin! They eat algae like nobody's business. You will even end up having to supplement its diet once it's done eating all (and I do mean all) of the algae!

brandon429
09/29/2012, 08:55 PM
Go to nanos forum, read pico reef pest algae challenge thread in the middle

Total tank cure ten days, back to new, then run your phosphate filters to prevent regrowth

CoralReeferGal
09/29/2012, 09:36 PM
we used algaefix, and a lawnmower blenny will cut through it quick as well.

hollister
09/29/2012, 10:07 PM
Whats used for water flow in there?

brandon429
09/29/2012, 11:07 PM
Id like to add four more days to my original prediction heh

Davckowski
09/29/2012, 11:10 PM
I agree with swcc probally a nutrient issue you might think all is ok but have you tested for phosphate? If so what type of test kit are you using? What type of source water are you using? What type of lighting do you run? How old are the bulbs? How long are they on? Are there any other light sources? I know you have been running multiple tanks for years but this will help

Eric45
09/30/2012, 11:27 AM
Just went through the same thing pal. The solution is gfo and plenty of it. For the first few weeks change it out twice a week -- you'll see dramatic improvement. Once its eradicated you can go back to twice a month or whatever. I do think it absorbs PO very quickly -- hours to a couple of days -- and starts returning it to the water after that.

swcc
09/30/2012, 01:58 PM
all algae is a nutrient issue. if it grows...you tank is eutrophic. you keep poop as a pet.