PDA

View Full Version : When is it safe to put newly mixed saltwater into a aquarium?

sarahlovesfish
09/29/2012, 09:48 AM
Right now I just water changed the tank, and I need to mix some more saltwater. I just finished mixing it, and I put a air pump inside. How soon can I put it in the water. Right now it is morning, so I might add it this evening or tonight, only about 3 gallons need to be filled. My fish have flukes, and I want to treat it as soon as possible. So, will it be safe to add it? I usually let it mix overnight, but I will feel so much better if I can add the water, and treat the fish.

brandon429
09/29/2012, 11:54 AM
Responses range from instantly, what I do, to waiting 24 hours out of fear

Diluted into the rest of your water it will not hurt to add. But you will be advised by most to wait 24 hours so in that case tomorrow

My repertoire for ten years has been mix up a gallon of reefcrystals, drain all the water out of my gallon pico, refill w the reefcrystals I just mixed, repeat in a week.

bertoni
09/29/2012, 02:49 PM
That depends on the pH of the water and the size of the change. Some salt products mix up to an initial high pH. In cases like that, I'd avoid large water changes until the pH has dropped into the acceptable range.