PDA

View Full Version : Totally confused, need help

kenc87
09/29/2012, 11:05 AM
Alright so here's the deal, in the past three weeks I've had 4 deaths or half my fish in my 150 reef. I've lost my sailfin tang, blue tang, firefish, and a solar wrasse. All water tests are fine as is my salinity at 1.026. All my corals, inverts, and even clams seem to be thriving. The only new addition to the tank was a powder brown tang which is also eating and doing well. I thought it was agrees soon so I really kept a close eye on the tank and saw zero aggression issues unless it was at night but even then I don't understand how it could have gotten to them. The only fish I have left are my prized clowns, a manadarin, and the powder brown. Can you guys please give me some idea what it could be?

reefgeezer
09/29/2012, 11:39 AM
Symptoms?

kenc87
09/29/2012, 11:44 AM
They have just become kinda lethargic, or just hang out on the bottom in a crevice, although they still come out to eat... It's weird.

rssjsb
09/29/2012, 01:02 PM
What kind of flow and skimmer do you have? It could be an oxygen problem.

kenc87
09/29/2012, 01:30 PM
Running two mp40s at almost 100% in reef crest along with my return. Protein skimmer is avast marine cs2. I don't think it's an oxygen problem but I could be wrong

ajcanale
09/29/2012, 02:28 PM
velvet.

kenc87
09/29/2012, 02:53 PM
Can that occur with no outside symptoms? Wouldn't my newest fish show signs first due to stress?

ajcanale
09/29/2012, 03:00 PM
Yes, thats the main point. Introducing a new fish followed by systematic and sudden death of established fish whom several of are particularly sensitive species, while hardier species remain alive.
From what I have read velvet often shows little to no symptoms and is one of, if not the fastest in death. Thankfully I have never had an experience with it.

One might ask "Why does the newly placed fish seem healthy and unaffected?" Well it could have had prior exposure to it and built some immunity while becoming a carrier. You know the addage... what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am in no way saying that velvet is an absolute here, it just makes the most sense, by far.
Sorry for your losses.

Buzz1329
09/29/2012, 03:07 PM
I really don't know what the problem is, but here is some more info re marine velvet disease FWIW:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=83

ajcanale
09/29/2012, 03:09 PM
See if your situation relates to this:
http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/235-gallons-and-one-bullet-in-the-chamber/

Timfish
09/29/2012, 03:11 PM
Usually the new fish show symptoms first but not neccessarily. You could try metronidiazole or a big UV but I would be inclined to either just let it run it's course at this point and wait a long time before adding fish or taking the fish out and putting them in a QT. Research Uronema marinum, Microsporea, Brooklynella hostilis and Myxosporea.

kenc87
09/29/2012, 04:15 PM
Ya I'm prolly just going to let whatever if this run its course because I have no clue what it is or how to really fight it. :-/

r-balljunkie
09/29/2012, 04:34 PM
you just might have had a bad run of fish. to collect and transport fish such long distances is not good for them, often repacked several times over at holding facilities on the way. i suggest you take more time and consideration in selecting your fish. if your LFS is still stocking the fish from the styrofoam containers, might not be the best tie time to make a purchase.

GL

C

kenc87
09/29/2012, 05:19 PM
All these fish except the powder brown have been together for months. So I feel it has to have something to do with it