PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Aquarium?

reefwisher
09/29/2012, 04:10 PM
I found a 150 gal acrylic aquarium for sale and would like to know what to look for as far as what conditions it should be in. I know to look for cracks and scratches but what about the seams and others things? All I ever had was glass aquariums so this is my first expierence with an acrylic tank. The only reason I am looking at it is because I can get a good deal on it and I can upgrade from my 75 to this 150.

Reef264
09/29/2012, 07:04 PM
Well from my experience, Acrylic can be buffed out with a kit, to look like new.If there is an overflow, look where the bulk heads were attached at, if they were over tightened there may be cracks.Look for Chips or dents in the acrylic, pretty much signs of a hard impact.Thats all I would look for, but there may be things more than that.

-Ray

Paris_Wiley
09/29/2012, 07:30 PM
I would look for any discoloration, such as whitening, of the seams. In my experience this can be a sign that the joints have been overstressed and may be more likely to fail in the future.

Timfish
09/29/2012, 07:46 PM
+1 on checking the joints. Most acrylic tanks are made with a single part solvent type adhesive and as the tank ages crazing and incursions will grow in the joints. Tanks assembled with a two part self polymerizing adhesives won't have this problem.