PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer -basic help needed

Multiham
09/29/2012, 07:19 PM
Super Reef Octopus Sro 1000I internal

I have read all the posts and I'm still confused. Brand new and it is constantly over flowing. I have tried raising and lowering it so that it has been in water depth of 5 to 8 inches. I have tried it with the gate valve wide open and closed. I have cut the air hose so it is the perfect length. No luck. It still overflows.

This is a new tank with one fish so I know there is not much bio load.

Any suggestions welcome!

mordibv
09/29/2012, 07:49 PM
Take your time .Most skimmers have a break in peroid . Leave the air all the open and do the same for the gate valve.wait a few days and start adjusting little by little from there. U aren't using any slime coating declhorinator for the tank r u? These type of products can make a skimmmer go bonkers .

Multiham
09/29/2012, 07:57 PM
Not dosing anything in the tank.

Since it was overflowing so much, I removed the plug in the collection cup so that the water is just going back into the sump. Shouldn't hurt anything since it is just clear water in the collection cup. This way I can let the skimmer run over night and see if it improves

I will try to be patient and see if it is better in the morning. Will running the skimmer without the plug in the collection cup hurt performance?

I know that it won't allow me to properly skim, but want to make sure that it won't cause the overflow problem to be worse.

Appreciate the help!

azjohnny
09/29/2012, 08:06 PM
try removing the skimmer and run it in a bucket of vinegar and water at a 50/50 ratio for 12-24 hoursThis will remove any oils on the surfaces of the skimmer body and decrease the break in time

Multiham
09/30/2012, 07:25 AM
Tried the vinegar/water solution over night. No luck when I put it back into the tank. Still overflowing.

For break-in, should I have the gate valve wide open, closed, or somewhere in middle?

Also, any other suggestions appreciated

reefgeezer
09/30/2012, 09:21 AM
The skimmer would only over flow if there were more water flowing in that could flow out. Is there a chance that the gate valve is defective? Try running the skimmer without the valve. You may have to rig up a pipe but at least you can eliminate the gate valve as the issue.

swcc
09/30/2012, 09:26 AM
it also could be the gate valve has an air pocket in it as well...leave the air open and the gate valve wide open...do what you can to make sure the valve is not trapping air(shake the skimmeror whatever to release possible air).. coral vue rep recommends running it wide open like this for about 4 weeks before starting to adjust it.
Finally surfactants can cause the skimmer to overflow, you may need some carbon in the system to help pull this out... if you used any water treatment(like prime) this can be a big cause as well as new filter socks.

Multiham
09/30/2012, 10:12 AM
it also could be the gate valve has an air pocket in it as well...leave the air open and the gate valve wide open...do what you can to make sure the valve is not trapping air(shake the skimmeror whatever to release possible air).. coral vue rep recommends running it wide open like this for about 4 weeks before starting to adjust it.
Finally surfactants can cause the skimmer to overflow, you may need some carbon in the system to help pull this out... if you used any water treatment(like prime) this can be a big cause as well as new filter socks.

Can you tell me what you mean by leaving the air open? I have the gate valve open. Didn't realize there was another adjustment.

swcc
09/30/2012, 10:46 AM
stock there is no air adjustment...some folks add a valve to their air line to adjust it and this is what I mean by leaving air wide open... do not put a valve on the air line. Oh, also keep the skimmer in the recommended 5.75" of water. Deeper and it can overflow easier. You could go a bit shallower like 5" or so if it is badly overflowing.

reefgeezer
09/30/2012, 01:00 PM
You might also try plugging the air line to see if the unit is overflowing due to excess foam production or just too much water being pumped in. If the skimmer overflows when the air is shut off, you have too much water going in or too little drain capability. If it only overflows when the air is on, you may have something in the water that is causing excessive foam.