PDA

View Full Version : Pukani vs Marco for Aquascaping

Patrick Cox
09/30/2012, 07:19 PM
I am planning a new build and I had in my mind that I would use Pukani rock because of the many positive comments I have read but while at MACNA I saw some great aquascapes that were made using Marco rock with PVC to make towers and other unique structures. If I want to do something like this, which rock would you recommend?

Thanks!

bdroptjj
09/30/2012, 07:30 PM
I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I used Pukani to make a two island structure with overhangs, pillars, etc. it was very easy to shape using a hacksaw and a dremel. I put mine together with zip ties, acrylic rods and epoxy. I've seen some great scapes here on RC with Marco rocks, too.

64Ivy
10/01/2012, 08:03 AM
+1. Keep in mind that you'll have to have a bit more patience with the Pukani with regards to curing due to PO4. For aquascaping though, both stellar.

Patrick Cox
10/01/2012, 09:21 AM
Any thoughts on whether or not I would be better off sticking with one or the other 100% vs mixing? Thanks!

swcc
10/01/2012, 09:44 AM
the mix might be a good idea.. I think either choice would work. With both rocks it may be best if you cure/cook the rocks a while to eliminate as much bound up nutrients via bacterial activity before you place in tank.

captjab
10/01/2012, 10:35 AM
You may want to check out VidaRocks also. I've never used them nor do I personally know anyone that has, but I'll be studying them for my upgrade.
Good luck and be sure to post some pics when you finish regardless of the route you take.

ReefNOOBIE21
10/01/2012, 05:18 PM
i wish i would have gotten pukuni rocks, i ended up ordering fiji dry rock and idk if i feel like trying to make that work. i only got it bc i already had some in the other tank and i wanted to start a small nano tank so i was gonan work with that but now i wanna get pukuni just bc it looks easy to work wtih