PDA

View Full Version : Wrasses and BB tanks....

110galreef
10/02/2012, 09:19 AM
I am looking into a melanurus, lunar, yellow choris, and maybe a leapord wrasse for my grow out tank which will be BB...

Has any kept these guys with out sand? These guys prefer to sleep under the sand right?

ReachTheSky
10/02/2012, 09:33 AM
The Leopard and Yellow Choris Wrasse are out of the question. A sandbed is crucial for them to survive. The other two should be fine.

Some species need a sandbed and others do not. A little bit of research should clear it up for you.

aandfsoccr04
10/02/2012, 09:36 AM
I definitely wouldn't keep a leopard wrasse without a sandbed. I agree with the above that it is critical in this species health and survival.

westreef
10/02/2012, 09:37 AM
I only have about half inch sand in DT. When I first got the melanurus, he dived into the sand but only half of his body was covered by sand. He did this repeatedly with same result. So he gave up. Now he is happily swimming, and actively hunting all the time. It is a great fish to keep.

110galreef
10/02/2012, 09:45 AM
I currently have the melanurus, lunar, divided leapord, a regular leapord, and six line in my DT and as well only have a 1/2 or so sand bed. They seem to dive in the sand at nigh tot sleep as well sans the six line

Is it the sand bed just providing a place to sleep or microfauna a well?

Could i just get a couple nice tupperware bowls and put a few inches of sand an piece of LR in on itfor them to feel safe. And say if I have like 2 wrasses get maybe 3 of these setups so they each have one??

ReachTheSky
10/02/2012, 10:04 AM
That tupperware idea might work. I know some people do that in QT tanks but I'm not sure how it'll work as a permanent solution.

The sand bed is a safe haven. They sleep in there and dive in there to avoid danger. No sleeping spot at night = disturbed fish that will never thrive. If they get spooked, they might dive into the bottom and inflict fatal injury on themselves. It's just not a good idea all around.